New Metallica Album - Death Magnetic

20thStDad

So, their last album St. Anger made me...angry. I gave it a shot, I listened to it many times thinking that it might grow on me like other great albums have had to do - but no. The drums were annoying, not a single solo, and I just didn't like it.

Well...they were playing songs from the new Metallica album "Death Magnetic" today on XM 51 (all metallica right now). Different than St. Anger from what I heard, the annoying drum wasn't as annoying, but still a little bit there. The good thing is they brought back the solos. According to what they were saying every song has one, many have 2 or more. That's encouraging. I will probably buy it, if only because I've been a Metallica fan for nearly 20 years now and am just curious what it will be like.

Has anyone else heard it or have an opinion yet? Nothing will live up to the Kill em All, Ride, Master, and And Justice...it never can. Some things on Load and Reload I didn't mind so much either, but in general they weren't my thing. I think they're still a great band, but hey, they are in their 40s. If you haven't changed from your early 20s to your 40s then there is something wrong with you.

Dad, I have to hand it to you, I've been mocked here for 1 sentence about Motorhead or Black Flag and you have delivered 3 paragraphs on Metallica!! Outstanding support. I am only a tangential fan, but gained newfound respect for them when the docu-dvd came out a few years ago. I think the last record I heard 2 songs and was unimpressed. Based on your post I will seek out this new album just to see. No promises.

I'm all back into the funk again. Got a new James Brown DVD set.

Ha! I saw Motorhead a few years ago, it was fun. How can anyone mock you for Motorhead? As for Metallica, if you didn't spend your middle school years and early high school wearing a lot of either black or concert shirts and recording really crappily played metallica songs played by you, your cousin, and the neighbor (on cassette, in the neighbors bedroom) between episodes of trying to steal cigarettes - well, then you aren't me.

So...heard another song on the way to work today. I liked this one better than the other one. Still need some time to digest all the songs once I get my hands on them. But I would say a definite step up from St. Anger, which I guess isn't saying much (IMO).

I'm only a moderate metallica fan. One that likes to pull out the Black album on road trips, thats about it. ( and actually did just that on Friday ) and one that actually liked the album where they played with the San Fran Symphony.

But i heard whatever new metallica it is they've started playing on the buzz yesterday afternoon, and while i really liked the beginning and thought, hell yeah, this sounds like only metallica could sound... by the time they got to their 10 minute boring solo, I was thinking, how can people still find this kind of stuff interesting and it just comes across as a sad attempt to recapture a now irrelevant sound.

Yeah they require a certain taste. If everyone liked it, it would be John Maier or something else that sucks. But thankfully it's not. I love long solos, I could listen to an album of just that. They haven't done any good ones though since the black album - however the best were most definitely before that.

Yeah they require a certain taste. If everyone liked it, it would be John Maier or something else that sucks. But thankfully it's not. I love long solos, I could listen to an album of just that. They haven't done any good ones though since the black album - however the best were most definitely before that.

I loved long solos... perhaps its just that it takes special magic to still pull it off... but the one i heard yesterday was bland, too long, and quickly forgettable.

I loved long solos... perhaps its just that it takes special magic to still pull it off... but the one i heard yesterday was bland, too long, and quickly forgettable.

I've only heard a couple so far, and while decent they aren't near what they used to be.

Archived