How Tall Is Too Tall--new Dt Development

suzerain

How high is too high?

Soaring project could pave way for denser downtown.

Matt Rourke/AMERICAN-STATESMAN

At 515 feet, the Frost Bank Tower, left, is currently Austin's highest building. But developer Tom Stacy's proposed high-rise a block north on Congress Avenue, set to open in late 2008, could reach 680 feet.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/conten...kyscrapers.html

Suzerain

• 4 weeks later...
How high is too high?

Soaring project could pave way for denser downtown.

Matt Rourke/AMERICAN-STATESMAN

At 515 feet, the Frost Bank Tower, left, is currently Austin's highest building. But developer Tom Stacy's proposed high-rise a block north on Congress Avenue, set to open in late 2008, could reach 680 feet.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/conten...kyscrapers.html

Suzerain

Thanks for the info. I am lookig forward to Austin becoming more vertical in the next decade, especially if they stick with their millinneal design motif.

Any renderings of the new tower?

Being one which will "stick out" for a few years before others will follow, i am sure there will be fierce competition as to its look. Maybe something with a spire?

In addition.......I wish Frank Gherry would design a museum on the riverfront...something with glass, limestone/sandstone and metal.

m. B)

• 3 weeks later...
If it does turn out to be 680 feet with only 41 floors, I think there is likely to be about a hundred foot spire or so.

Not necessarily.

Sometimes I get confused by the criteria, BUT some developers consider 10'= to one storey, while others say 12' and even 15'. At 15' a storey and a grand entrance of say, 3 storeys- the spire may not be too tall.

Please, don't get me wrong, I would like to see one in Austin especially- I do like the architecture- but with the exception of the Frost Tower- it all seems a variation on the boxed theme.

By the way, I was in Austin recently (live in LA) and took some, what I thought, were gorgeous pix. NOT A ONE turned out! It was at dusk. Back to the drawing board. Sorry everyone. I was looking forward to my first posting of pix. There is always this summer.

Anyway.

Till next time.

m.

Archived