Some Realtors are Aholes

jscarbor

The thread isn't about the client, its about some ahole not willing to open his own damn listing regardless of whether or not he was represented by me. Yes my client should have been coached better by me, yes I should have picked up the phone while I was in a meeting with bankers who were willing to loan me millons of dollars, in fact I felt so bad I told the buyer to go look at it anyway and I would help him and not take a commission. I did my part. The listing agent is the one who decided to turn down a potential client because he was an arrogant, selfriteous bastard who was so busy that he could not open the only listing he had for someone who was eager to see the property. The funny thing about this is that the property isn't that great of a deal. Its a good price but not off fair market for that type home from what I gather in very limited research.

First, please don't feel that I am attacking you or anything... I apologize in advance if it comes off that way...

...but this doesn't add up to what you said in your first post...

Based on your first post... It sounded to me like your client, unknown to you (because you were in your meeting and missed his call), contacted the listing agent... and that agent was going to get in his car and go open the property for your client. Had he done that, he gets all the commission... but then, out of the blue, you call him... offer to pay for his gas... and hope to "work something out" if your client likes the place. Sounds like to me you were trying to weasel your way back into the deal when clearly the other agent had in the bag - fair and square. The other agent, not wanting to trade a several thousand dollar commission for $20 worth of gas (who would), was insulted by your indecent proposal and would rather not do business, in this particular instance. Sounds like he was fully ready to show the place to your client... until you called trying to work yourself into the deal.

Your right once again BryanS, I wanted to weasel my way in the deal. :huh: Of course, if you remember I said I would step out of the way for the client if he wanted to see the home but he chose not to because of the other agent(i told this to the agent as well). So, the agent screwed himself and way more importantly his client out of a potential deal if in the end the client would have bought the property.

Your right once again BryanS, I wanted to weasel my way in the deal. :huh: Of course, if you remember I said I would step out of the way for the client if he wanted to see the home but he chose not to because of the other agent(i told this to the agent as well). So, the agent screwed himself and way more importantly his client out of a potential deal if in the end the client would have bought the property.

That's not all you said. And that's not what you said initially. You first said that you could show the property - you were just around the corner. The other agent, working with your guy, had already made arrangements - without you in the loop. The listing agent rightly rejected you being party to the deal. Then you practically begged the guy "sorry - please let us see it." If the eager client liked it - then you and the listing agent "could work something out." The listing agent was getting peeved. You then put the ultimate insult out there: "I'll pay for your gas" - just hand over your commission to me, in exchange. Now you've really set the guy off. Knowing that you've basically screwed your client out of even seeing the house, as a last ditch effort - you cave and basically say "OK, I'll step out of the deal." Then basically the listing agent told you and your client to get lost.

In your efforts to insert yourself into this deal... you put your own financial self interest above your client's - and it backfired. So had you taken the initial call (which I understand you can miss - OK) - this situation could have been avoided. Had you NOT contacted the other agent - and just let your client work that showing to its natural conclusion (by letting the other realtor handle the situation, as he was entitled to), this situation could have been avoided.

It was your latent, unnecessary and awkward involvement in this deal that basically screwed everyone over: you, your client, and the other agent.

Edited by BryanS

Just do your job, don't expect the listing agents to do it for you, and you'll not run into this type of problem again.

The Realtor ranks are full of lazy agents who want the co-op agent to do their work for them, weather it's a buyers rep coaching his client to just get the another agent to open the property, then promising a "rebate". Or.........a lazy, flat fee listing agent, making the buyer's rep do double work to get a home sold to his buyer.

I don't blame the listing agent for doing what he did, considering there are too many lazy Realtors out there, and you must have known when your client did this, that this Realtor might have figured you to be just another incompitent agent (Not saying you are, just that was probably his POV). Foreclosure agents regularly add in the comments, "if the buyers rep is not present at first showing, then commission will be reduced toX%".

CyKat

Edited by CyKat

Just do your job, don't expect the listing agents to do it for you, and you'll not run into this type of problem again.

The Realtor ranks are full of lazy agents who want the co-op agent to do their work for them, weather it's a buyers rep coaching his client to just get the another agent to open the property, then promising a "rebate". Or.........a lazy, flat fee listing agent, making the buyer's rep do double work to get a home sold to his buyer.

I don't blame the listing agent for doing what he did, considering there are too many lazy Realtors out there, and you must have known when your client did this, that this Realtor might have figured you to be just another incompitent agent (Not saying you are, just that was probably his POV). Foreclosure agents regularly add in the comments, "if the buyers rep is not present at first showing, then commission will be reduced toX%".

CyKat

Ok, let me step in here a minute. As a former real estate agent, if you aren't an agent, you don't understand an agent's FIRST responsibility is a fiduciary responsibility to his client. That's the FIRST thing - the VERY first thing you learn in real estate school. So if he is with a client, turning off his phone is part of his job. I would do the same - then check the messages as soon as I got through with the closing, showing the listing, taking the listing - whatever.

You can't really pass judgment on a person unless you have walked in their shoes.

That being said and done - yes, some realtors really are Aholes, but I don't think the original poster is one of them.

Ok, let me step in here a minute. As a former real estate agent, if you aren't an agent, you don't understand an agent's FIRST responsibility is a fiduciary responsibility to his client. That's the FIRST thing - the VERY first thing you learn in real estate school. So if he is with a client, turning off his phone is part of his job. I would do the same - then check the messages as soon as I got through with the closing, showing the listing, taking the listing - whatever.

You can't really pass judgment on a person unless you have walked in their shoes.

That being said and done - yes, some realtors really are Aholes, but I don't think the original poster is one of them.

Papi,

You missed the entire point of my post.

CyKat

Edited by CyKat