2nd Annual No Holds Barred Chili Cook-Off

The 2nd Annual No Holds Barred Chili Cook-Off is coming! The cook-off itself will be held at The Shady Tavern on October 11th, but the organizers are accepting team entries now. The deadline to enter your team (of one to four people) is October 1st and it's a $120 entry fee, which includes a T-shirts or koozies (they haven't decided which yet), 25 drink tickets (for you and yer friends) and 4 tasting wristbands (to taste the other teams' chilis).

If you just want to come and taste the chili and have a few beers, it's $5 per person. That gets you a bowl, a spoon and a vote. The judging panel will be made up of 4 people, with the popular vote as a tie-breaker if needed.

The winning entry will take home the entire door takings. Last year, there were about 400 people, which means the winning team took home $2,000. There were 16 teams last year and they're hoping for 25 to 30 this year.

The best thing about the competition? It's truly "no holds barred," which means that you can make any kind of chili at all -- ANY kind of chili -- and enter it. It can be vegetarian chili, turkey chili, buffalo chili, catfish chili, chili with beans, chili without beans, chili with habanero peppers in it, chili with no spices in it, sweet chili, savory chili -- ANYTHING.

For more info or to enter your team, go to www.noholdsbarredchili.com. In the interest of full disclosure, I will be one of the judges this year. But the only thing I'm getting out of it is hopefully awarding a lot of money to a great chili-cooking team! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to send out one last reminder about this event. The weather is shaping up to be beautiful tomorrow. In addition to the chili cook-off, two local favorites are scheduled to perform. The Zydeco Dots will hit the state at 5:00 and (You)genius: The Misfit of R&B will do his thing at 7:00.

The $5 entry fee gets you a bowl for tasting all the chili options, a spoon and a vote.

Archived