Need recommendation/referral for a plumber to install water softener

Anyone on this board have any experience or recommend a plumber to install a water softener? I'm moving into a newly built home in Katy at the end of this month and I know we have hard water out there (as I currently live in Katy and have already been through the hard-sell tactics of these water softener companies when we first moved in to our new neighborhood 3 years ago... they were trying to get me to buy one for $4500). I've done a ton of research on water softener products and various companies that resell them and found out that most companies (DuPure, Rainsoft, etc.) are all actually using the same valves and rebranding it with their own name with slight modifications (none for the better, but to make them proprietary so that you can only go through them for service/repair). I found out the main/best valve manufacturer is Fleck. I can actually get one of the top of the line Fleck 7000 softener (64,000 grain) for about $700-800 shipped from numerous online vendors (with full warranties). Now all I need is an experienced plumber to cut into the line and properly install it. I've got a ballpark figure in mind of how much it will cost for the plumber just from reading various forums and boards regarding water softeners. I'm hoping to get it all-in for less than $1k for a top of the line system which the other companies are marketing and selling anywhere from $2200 to $6000.

Have you already closed on the house? Tell the builder they need to modify the plumbing to accommodate a softener before you close.

I don't know how the market is in Katy, but if they're having issues getting product sold they'll probably be willing to accommodate your request at no charge if the alternative is you walking away from the deal.

I'd recommend checking out the Kinetico system. This system uses no electricity and back washes automatically after a pre-determined amount of water is used. There are two RO tanks so the system regenerates the one tank while the other is in use.

I had my system installed in 1992. Yeah, the system was expensive ($3,000.00 at the time), but I've never regrettted it. It was the best home improvement investment I have ever made. All I've ever done since is add salt. I do change the filter regularly because I'm on well water.

BTW: Don't get hung up on buying the after market products, such as soaps and detergents.

Hello,pacman777

my name is paul belsome with belsomeh2oinstallers.com.. i can install your water softener in katy.. 936 672 6777. we sell the fleck 7000 with the reverse osmosis system in most cases for less than half of what your other companies are selling for. the other guys are selling for 1700.00 to 5500.00. DON'T OVER PAY!!!! plb@consolidated.net we are also a member of the houston BBB... belsome h2o installers has been around since 2001, with 20 years exp... THANKS, PAUL BELSOME

Edited by paul b