Can Home Depot Make The Grade?

debmartin

March 16, 2005, 7:52PM

Spring Valley delays vote on Home Depot plan

City Council tables proposal until Tuesday

By KIM JACKSON

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Home Depot officials voiced frustration Monday after Spring Valley City Council members tabled a vote on the retail giant's application to construct a 175,000-square-foot retail store and garden center in the city limits off Interstate 10. After four hours of discussion Monday, Spring Valley city officials could not agree what types of merchandise Home Depot could display outside of the store. Gene Borsattino, Home Depot Inc.'s real estate manager, said the company had hoped to break ground March 7 and open the store in October. Company officials said they would like to build the store on 15 acres of the approximate 23-acre property at 8940 Katy Freeway previously owned by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. The council's decision to delay a vote until Tuesday means the company is another week away from opening the store on time, Borsattino said. The delay costs the company money from lost revenues, and equates to less sales tax revenues for the city of Spring Valley, he said. "We lose about $2.5 million every month we are delayed opening," Borsattino said. "We hope they make a decision soon." Spring Valley Planning and Zoning Commissioners voted 6-1 to approve an application on the Home Depot project submitted to the city in late December. But the commission's approval carried with it several recommendations on the project, including restrictions on operating and delivery hours, a ban on outdoor displays, events and speaker systems and a recommendation to include a filter on underground pipelines that carry stormwater from the parking lot area to a detention pond on the Christ Evangelical Presbyterian Church property next door. The application moved to Spring Valley City Council for final approval Monday. Councilman Tim Glanzman on Monday said council members differed in their opinions on what types of smaller materials should be displayed, but generally none wanted to see large outdoor sheds and trailers displayed unless they were shielded by a fence. Councilman Greg Herbst said he did not mind the company marketing items in a 17- foot-deep area outside the front and east sides of the store, but would like to see the materials rotated on a regular basis. Some, including Councilman Tim Trammell, said they would only support an outdoor display area if it was restricted to seasonal items, such as Christmas trees, pumpkins and plant materials. Councilman Kyle Sears expanded that to include other seasonal merchandise, such as lawnmowers and barbecue grills. "I am willing to compromise, but the two primary things our constituents objected to during public hearings were noise and outdoor displays," said Councilman Bruce Spain. Council members agreed that the ban on an outdoor speaker system was not required if only used during operating hours. Council directed City Attorney John Olson to narrow the options in the ordinance, which will be the starting point for discussions next week. Borsatinno said the company could compromise on some points, but not the ban on display of outdoor sheds and trailers. "We sell outside what you can build outside," Borsatinno said. "We are not violators, and would maintain our outdoor display areas. We are putting a $30 million investment in this site and are not likely to trash the front end or make it unattractive to our customers." If constructed, the store would be located directly south of the 65-home Creekside Villas in Memorial subdivision, which is under development, and about 400 feet south of the established Brighton Place subdivision. A 10-foot sound wall is proposed to separate the Home Depot and Creekside properties.

i propose an official song for the spring valley city council - "too much time on my hands" by styxx! i guess it takes more than a $30 million investment to get them motivated.

deb martin

Spring Valley has gotten screwed around a lot lately and I think they're just getting a lot more savvy on what they need to do to try to preserve whatever integrity their neighborhood has left. The Katy Freeway expansion project, whatever your feelings on this are, very much affected the quality of life of the residents of that area, and I would not say in a positive way. The IKEA store demolition was another give and take situation. The main problem seems to be encroaching freeways and big box development upon a small community run by volunteers who are doing their best to preserve Spring Valley. It used to be such a nice little neighborhood, but all that seems to be changing for the worse. If there are any Spring Valley residents out there who would like to comment on this, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your comments. I'm just going on what I've heard from four different residents of the area. Yes, it's probably a losing battle for the people there, but you at least have got to give them credit for trying. Plus, I wouldn't say Home Depot comes with a pristine reputation for getting along with communities they're in...

"The main problem seems to be encroaching freeways and big box development upon a small community run by volunteers who are doing their best to preserve Spring Valley. It used to be such a nice little neighborhood, but all that seems to be changing for the worse." (quote, pineda)

yeah i see your point, but then why are they considering the application in the first place? about 10 years ago i used to live in a small apt complex next to valley oaks elementary, at the corner of pech rd. and westview. i got to know many families from spring valley and to tell you the truth, i always felt they were a bit out of touch with reality. for what they were trying to create and maintain, most people would have relocated to the woodlands, etc, or at least farther away from the big city. they put their SV stickers on their cars so their cop never harasses them, but if you don't have one look out! they decided that having a metro bus pass down westview between bingle and wirt (voss/chimney rock) was unacceptable so the 72 westview has to take a long, out-of-the-way detour down the worst part of longpoint. part of this snobbery is responsible for the fondren and hilcroft busses ending at westheimer when metro could do so much more with public transportion if they could continue past I-10. instead, anyone trying to make it to the "other side" must ride the 46-gessner and make several changes. yes, it can be said that it was such a nice "little" neighborhood but that could be said for many areas of town that have been dragged into the 21st century. it is impractical for these small villages to believe they are completely disconnected from the city of houston, even if they are separate municipalities. i am not trying to be unkind, just realistic. i am also very pro-houston - i cheer on suburban developments as they fullfill the need some people have to move away from houston. but trying to cater to the whims of a "city" within my own city is unproductive in my opinion. especially when what they are trying to accomplish is futile and the lifestyle they desire is readily available further out. most of the families we knew back from our valley oaks days have relocated to cinco ranch, the woodlands and even sugar land, so perhaps the current residents of spring valley are primarily people who recently "bought in" and did not realize why former residents relocated to the 'burbs.

deb martin

Spring Valley has gotten screwed around a lot lately and I think they're just getting a lot more savvy on what they need to do to try to preserve whatever integrity their neighborhood has left. The Katy Freeway expansion project, whatever your feelings on this are, very much affected the quality of life of the residents of that area, and I would not say in a positive way. The IKEA store demolition was another give and take situation. The main problem seems to be encroaching freeways and big box development upon a small community run by volunteers who are doing their best to preserve Spring Valley. It used to be such a nice little neighborhood, but all that seems to be changing for the worse. If there are any Spring Valley residents out there who would like to comment on this, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your comments. I'm just going on what I've heard from four different residents of the area. Yes, it's probably a losing battle for the people there, but you at least have got to give them credit for trying. Plus, I wouldn't say Home Depot comes with a pristine reputation for getting along with communities they're in...

I wouldn

but trying to cater to the whims of a "city" within my own city is unproductive in my opinion. especially when what they are trying to accomplish is futile and the lifestyle they desire is readily available further out

but they don't want to be further out... they want to stay in Spring Valley. They've already seen damage to their community from the I-10 expansion - I say more power to them for being sticklers.

especially when what they are trying to accomplish is futile and the lifestyle they desire is readily available further out.  most of the families we knew back from our valley oaks days have relocated to cinco ranch, the woodlands and even sugar land, so perhaps the current residents of spring valley are primarily people who recently "bought in" and did not realize why former residents relocated to the 'burbs.

deb martin

I think that they don't just want a suburban/village-like ambiance. They want that kind of a place right in the city. Infact, other villages south of I-10 have been quite successful at that. Everytime I drive through them, it is hard to believe that such rural setting exists right in the city. So you can't blame SV for trying to do that as well.

• The title was changed to Can Home Depot Make The Grade?

Archived