Garcia's Mexican Grill

bcnet

There is a TABC permit sign posted on the lot just west of the newly opened Trustmark Bank on Fry for "Garcia's Mexican Grill". Anyone have any insight into this place?

No but I am sure we have enough "insert common hispanic last name" Mexican grills to last us for years to come. Garcia's eh, originality will surely make it stand out from the pack. Perfect to go with Gonzales, Hernandez, Martinez, Perez, Ramirez, Rodriguez, Lopez Mexican Grills . . . :huh:

No but I am sure we have enough "insert common hispanic last name" Mexican grills to last us for years to come. Garcia's eh, originality will surely make it stand out from the pack. Perfect to go with Gonzales, Hernandez, Martinez, Perez, Ramirez, Rodriguez, Lopez Mexican Grills . . . :huh:

Hey, you never know. I didn't have high expectations for El Jarrito, but it ended up being really good.

In Katy, I think we have more restaurants with "el" or "la" more than anything...el Jarrito, la Finca, el Rancho, las Rosas, los Cucos, etc.

Hey, you never know. I didn't have high expectations for El Jarrito, but it ended up being really good.

In Katy, I think we have more restaurants with "el" or "la" more than anything...el Jarrito, la Finca, el Rancho, las Rosas, los Cucos, etc.

Actually - you can scratch off Las Rosas. They've shut their doors at multiple locations.

Yeah Las Rosas didn't shut down the Katy location they just moved over to Times Square on Grand Parkway. The atmosphere is totally different now and frankly I don't like it even though I liked their old location. They are going after a different crowd now.

Yeah Las Rosas didn't shut down the Katy location they just moved over to Times Square on Grand Parkway. The atmosphere is totally different now and frankly I don't like it even though I liked their old location. They are going after a different crowd now.

No... they're out of business. We do the leasing for Times Square, and Las Rosas is gone. We've got several interesting new tenants lined up and are working on getting all the extraneous signs down from GP.

No... they're out of business. We do the leasing for Times Square, and Las Rosas is gone. We've got several interesting new tenants lined up and are working on getting all the extraneous signs down from GP.

Wow - I had no idea! Frankly, their new location was horrible. Not the actual location itself but the physical restaurant was not nearly as nice as their location on Kingsland and Mason.

Is the divorce comment a serious one?

Has anyone checked out La Vida Loca - they are in the old old Las Rosas location on Kingsland. It is pretty awesome - they have really done a nice job updating that place. Their outdoor patios are awesome.

Bman - in regards to your comment about "extraneous signs down from GP" - what do you mean by that? You are trying to get down all of the Las Rosas signs or ALL of the extra signs in the Times Square area?

You should remove all extraneous signs.

:D

Wow - I had no idea! Frankly, their new location was horrible. Not the actual location itself but the physical restaurant was not nearly as nice as their location on Kingsland and Mason.

Is the divorce comment a serious one?

Has anyone checked out La Vida Loca - they are in the old old Las Rosas location on Kingsland. It is pretty awesome - they have really done a nice job updating that place. Their outdoor patios are awesome.

Bman - in regards to your comment about "extraneous signs down from GP" - what do you mean by that? You are trying to get down all of the Las Rosas signs or ALL of the extra signs in the Times Square area?

Well, i thought I read that they were having a divorce in here somewhere...and then I went back to find it, here is the original post:

posted by: bds76 on Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 @ 2:05pm :

"We used to go there all the time, but our favorite waiter changed restaurants and we followed him. What he said was that the owners got a divorce and the wife kept the Katy location and one other one, I think. Once she took over by herself, it went downhill pretty quick. I assume that they weren't making enough money to support that big building."

There, this is where I got the information from. :D

They all taste the same... bad and greasy. We need Taco Milagro, Lupe Tortillas and/or Chuy's.

On another note, it would be nice to remove all of the signs from the front of Times Square, maybe it would help improve the type of businesses located there. No decent company wants to be associated with that development until they clean it up.

• 2 weeks later...

y'all should try out Taco Grill on mason kind of near those batting cages.... from the outside it looks kind of um poorly done... but give it a try, its not what you'd expect... very authentic mexican not really TexMex

y'all should try out Taco Grill on mason kind of near those batting cages.... from the outside it looks kind of um poorly done... but give it a try, its not what you'd expect... very authentic mexican not really TexMex

I've had Taco Grill, and yes it is fantastic. Ate more than I should have really. On another note, I know Lupe Tortilla is a popular spot for Mexican food, but I'll never eat there again. It's utterly disgusting to me that you have to go through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms. I thought the highway 6 location was just a fluke, but then visited the Sugar Land location and they built that one the same dang way.... filthy and digusting.

Now - as for Las Rosas. We've released the space at Times Square and I'm happy to report that we'll soon have a top notch steakhouse in Katy. It's going to be called Allie's Steakhouse and Piano Bar and they've hired away a chef from Kirby's. They're considering after hours dueling pianos on the weekends, which if any of you have ever seen this before - it's quite the crowd pleaser. So much so that other places that have done it have had long standing reservations for late seatings on the weekends, so they can stick around for the show. Estimated opening date is early October. Mark your calendars.

On another note, I know Lupe Tortilla is a popular spot for Mexican food, but I'll never eat there again. It's utterly disgusting to me that you have to go through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms. I thought the highway 6 location was just a fluke, but then visited the Sugar Land location and they built that one the same dang way.... filthy and digusting.

"Filthy and disgusting" because you don't like walking through the kitchen? Or because you don't like the knowledge that other people (without hairnets and washed hands, etc) are walking through the kitchen? Just curious...

"Filthy and disgusting" because you don't like walking through the kitchen? Or because you don't like the knowledge that other people (without hairnets and washed hands, etc) are walking through the kitchen? Just curious...

ALL of the above.

ALL of the above.

In that case, what is it about walking through the kitchen that you don't like? Personally, I enjoy it when a restaurant is so open about their kitchen area -- it shows (to me, at least) that they are keeping their kitchen clean enough that they feel comfortable allowing people to see it for themselves any time they want to (or any time they need the loo ;)).

It's just not healthy to have people walking through a kitchen like that....at least with the employees there's some idea they (the employees) have taken percautions with regards to sanitation and such...I'm with B-man on this one...

In that case, what is it about walking through the kitchen that you don't like? Personally, I enjoy it when a restaurant is so open about their kitchen area -- it shows (to me, at least) that they are keeping their kitchen clean enough that they feel comfortable allowing people to see it for themselves any time they want to (or any time they need the loo ;) ).

That's exactly the point - the kitchen at highway 6 is NOT clean - something about the fact that they can be cooking my meal, take 5 steps to go the bathroom, then come back 5 steps to finish cooking, and lord only knows if they washed their hands. bathrooms have no business being anywhere NEAR a kitchen... and I'm amazed the health department let's them get away with that.

My parents met the future owner of this place the other day, and he's actually the son of the guy who own's Victor's on North Fry Road.

We ate here frequently when we lived closer by. The food is really good and so is the service.

If it's anything like Victor's, I think we'll stop by a lot.

I was actually hoping that it was a restaurant owned by Victor Garcia. I have also enjoyed my experiences at Victor's and now look forward to trying his son's restaurant.

I also look foward to trying it out.

By the way, I think Victor Garcia may own it, but his son will 'run' it, if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Did you go to the first one on Mason @ Cimarron Parkway? They had lots of time to perfect the menu while at the smaller location. I don't like their onion sauce that they pass off as hot sauce, but otherwise, the food is good.

I don't go to their new location because of the giant sandbox. We've eaten there twice since the big place opened. The first time we were grossed out by the kids tracking sand everywhere. People told us they had made improvements with the sand tracking, so we gave it another try. We asked to be seated as far away as possible from the sandbox and the hostess put us in the back area next to it! Still... sand everywhere and lots of kids going in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this project fall through? I've been waiting to see some sign of construction and there hasn't been anything. I imagine unless the owners have so much cash flow and resources that they could pay the note and let the restaurant sit vacant for a year or two the bank loan may be hard to come by. That is just speculation but I would like to see the restaurant happen. I hope it goes through and is a good place to eat.

Archived