Charleston, South Carolina - Two

People are encouraged to walk along the city's alleys as shortcuts and people put a lot of effort into making the alleys and backyard public walking paths as attractive as possible.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The world's nicest Applebee's.

web.jpg

The Arthur Ravenel bridge is new. Tour guides like to boast that it's the only one like it in the world. I guess they've never been to Houston. Or Amsterdam. Or Rotterdam... Wheeling, West Virginia; Weirton, Ohio; Tokyo; Norway; Boston; Reading, California; or the thousands of other places in the world that also have cable-stayed bridges.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

City Hall

web.jpg

County Building

web.jpg

web.jpg

Skyline

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

My family originally settled in Charleston, something I'm very proud of. In fact We still have a street named after my great, great, grandfather, as well as a baptist church (Belin Baptist) which he built.

I've got a neat little video of Charleston that me and a cousin shot and edited a few years back. I'll try to load it and post a link.

It's simply a magnificent place. Thanks for sharing.

My family originally settled in Charleston, something I'm very proud of. In fact We still have a street named after my great, great, grandfather, as well as a baptist church (Belin Baptist) which he built.

I've got a neat little video of Charleston that me and a cousin shot and edited a few years back. I'll try to load it and post a link.

It's simply a magnificent place. Thanks for sharing.

I was very surprised with how much I liked Charleston. It's all the good things about New Orleans without the drunks and the vomit and the funk. In fact, it's like a hyper-realistic version of what I always imagined New Orleans would be before I visited there.

That said, I've been told that Savannah blows Charleston away in the same fasion, but I haven't been there yet.

I was very surprised with how much I liked Charleston. It's all the good things about New Orleans without the drunks and the vomit and the funk. In fact, it's like a hyper-realistic version of what I always imagined New Orleans would be before I visited there.

That said, I've been told that Savannah blows Charleston away in the same fasion, but I haven't been there yet.

Well said... It's very NO without the scum. Of course the party life is not the same, but I don't give a hoot about that. The city is so clean, and has tons of history. Some of the churches are just magnificant.

Well said... It's very NO without the scum. Of course the party life is not the same, but I don't give a hoot about that. The city is so clean, and has tons of history. Some of the churches are just magnificant.

I also love the way they built many of the homes to maximize space on the lots. Quite a few are turned sideways from the street with the front actually facing the side yard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived