6 of the Crocket Street Venue's closing...

pookrat

The lawsuit is not the reason for the closing.

REGULAR MEETING OF THE CITY COUNCIL

COUNCIL CHAMBERS JULY 1, 2008 1:30 P.M.

AGENDA

GENERAL BUSINESS

1. Consider authorizing the issuance and sale of $30 million City of Beaumont, Texas, Certificates of Obligation, Series 2008; levying taxes to provide for payment thereof; and containing other matters related thereto

2. Consider authorizing the issuance of $20 million City of Beaumont, Texas, Waterworks and Sewer System Revenue Bonds, Series 2008; and containing other matters related thereto

This includes the downtown lake and river. This closing will make way for bigger and better venues from deeper pockets. Stay tune, this is about get very exciting...

hint hint...btw, I hear Beaumont is looking for a developer to build a high rise condo next to this river.

BEAUMONTWATERWAYDRAFTRENDERING.jpg

The Spindletop Restaurant was also closed on Monday. Do you have some inside info on why they abruptly closed? It seems to me if these closings were intentional then they would have announced it before they closed. It's good to see Beaumont moving ahead with these plans, but I find it hard to believe these closing were related to that.

Last year there was talk of a high-rise hotel next to the Civic Center. What's the status of that? It would be nice if they built both a high-rise hotel and condos, but I have my doubts. I assume high-rise in Beaumont would mean 10 to 15 stories?

The Spindletop Restaurant was also closed on Monday. Do you have some inside info on why they abruptly closed? It seems to me if these closings were intentional then they would have announced it before they closed. It's good to see Beaumont moving ahead with these plans, but I find it hard to believe these closing were related to that.

Last year there was talk of a high-rise hotel next to the Civic Center. What's the status of that? It would be nice if they built both a high-rise hotel and condos, but I have my doubts. I assume high-rise in Beaumont would mean 10 to 15 stories?

Well yeah, 10-15 stories...

Crockette street is huge on new years and the 4th. If I was struggling, I would wait after the 4th to close. I find it funny they close

on the day the city approves a river through Crockette street. Read between the lines.

That hotel is most likely part of the river front developement, not the river walk developement. Nothing will

happen on the Riverfront until the Port of Beaumont removes their rail yard. A new yard must be built on Port

property first, if it hasn't started yet, it will soon.

Unless they plan on tearing down the buildings for the waterway, there would be no reason to close the clubs. The guy has owned these establishments for a while, a now he owes back taxes and has 2 lawsuits to deal with. My guess is that he didn't have time to find new buyers before the leases ran out. I've never been to any of the clubs or restaurants, but what I've read about them is that they've been profitable. My guess is new owners will come in soon, renovate the clubs, and reopen them.

As far as the new riverwalk, I hope they get started on that soon. If they can get that done in the next few years, along with expanding the Riverfront Park, plus get a new hotel and/or condos, Crockett Street and downtown will really take off. With Port Neches actively seeking a developer for their ambitious riverfront park and Port Arthur looking to develop their boardwalk, the area is finally beginning to take advantage of some of it's assets.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/loc...8_22_34_01.html

Downtown project could turn Beaumont into little Kemah

Picture it: A vibrant downtown with a placid lake and rippling waterway crowded with people.

That's city leaders' vision for downtown Beaumont.

On Tuesday, a Houston architectural firm is scheduled to present a conceptual design of a proposed lake off Martin Luther King Parkway at Crockett Street and a waterway near the entertainment district.

Initially, city officials envisioned a 10-acre lake between Neches Street and Martin Luther King on parcels of land owned by 23 different interests.

However, plans now call for a scaled-back version of the lake - two to three acres - to allow for more thus-far undisclosed amenities, City Manager Kyle Hayes said last month.

The design for the proposed downtown lake, waterway and something to tie it all together all is in the hands of SWA of Houston.

SWA's resume includes work along Buffalo Bayou in Houston as well as waterfront projects in San Diego, Long Beach, and as far away as Beijing.

For Beaumont, the project could turn out to be something like a smaller version of Kemah or The Woodlands.

Water connects dots in grand design for downtown Beaumont

BEAUMONT - Water taxis, a two-acre marina with theater and an expansive lawn are ideas being tossed about in the plans for a downtown lake/waterway and event center that could take its first steps toward reality as soon as next summer.

On Tuesday, two Houston design firms outlined their proposals to establish downtown as a destination complete with a lake, waterway and marina.

"We as individuals are mostly composed of water. We as a planet are mostly composed of water," Scott Slaney, principal architect of the Houston-based SWA Group, told the City Council.

"Water is a very special natural resource that we hope to take full advantage of."

Slaney said in order for the lake to remain healthy, defined as not growing algae and attracting mosquitoes - it needs to be at least two acres big and six- to nine-feet deep.

The entire lake/event center park property is about 16 acres and is located between Neches Street and Martin Luther King Parkway off Crockett Street.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/loc...8_21_50_02.html

DOWNTOWNlake.jpg

Archived