Advertising as a source of Revenue for Metro

Why doesn't METRO sell ad space on its buses, trains, bus stops, and light rail stations? Lots of other metropolitan transportation agencies use this as a source of revenue. Subway stations are plastered with posters, subway trains have advertisements inside of them, and city buses usually have large billboards on them. I'm sure some people think its tacky, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like the Metro Light Rail trains or buses are anything great to look at.

Why not throw some ads on there and use some of that revenue to put towards the fund for all of these transportation plans being thrown around? I realize it won't make that much of a difference towards these billion dollar projects, but it would help.

Why doesn't METRO sell ad space on its buses, trains, bus stops, and light rail stations? Lots of other metropolitan transportation agencies use this as a source of revenue. Subway stations are plastered with posters, subway trains have advertisements inside of them, and city buses usually have large billboards on them. I'm sure some people think its tacky, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like the Metro Light Rail trains or buses are anything great to look at.

Why not throw some ads on there and use some of that revenue to put towards the fund for all of these transportation plans being thrown around? I realize it won't make that much of a difference towards these billion dollar projects, but it would help.

I've wondered the same thing. The buses and trains could even be outfitted with those rotating banners like you see courtside at a basketball game or something to maximize how many advertisers can be on one vehicle. The more buses and trains (and the more riders there are) the more ads Metro can sell and the more they can charge to help offset some of the cost. Of course Metro can use this space too to pimp a new service or a cruicial transit-related vote or something...

I don't expect public transit to operate profitably or break-even - the roads we drive on break down as fast as our tax dollars go into their maintenance and then some - just that it's as efficient as possible. And efficient means, in part, being able to pay for itself as much as it can.