Check this new place out at Blalock and Westview in a former Randall's so I understand. Only open a couple of weeks and the parking lot is jammed.

Super clean and no smell as with many ethnic grocery stores.

Check out the Korean fried chicken franchise, Toreore Chicken and Joy in the corner to the right of the entry. Korean fried chicken is super crispy and very greaseless; the # 6, hot, sweet and spicy is best. They may try to warn you off but if you're a native Texan you won't have any trouble with the heat. 7 and 14 piece orders only with only one side, mildly pickled daikon. They chop a chicken up differently that we do so you may have trouble identifying the pieces. It's only cooked to order and will take about 20 minutes, giving you time to roam the store. I stuck to the perimeter where the good stuff is and only got as far as the very impressive seafood department in the back corner.

There are other food stalls with other traditional Korean foods, not all open yet. It could take several months to sample all the varieties of kimchee.

All the staff was very friendly and pleasant and the customers too. There was a long line in the bakery just inside the door and one of the customers, also on a first visit, came over to ask about my fried chicken. She said the breads are very good, croissants, sweet rolls and other things.

Archived