Tear down 1960 mod or restore, that is the question

My husband and I need professional advice on what to do with our 1960 one of a kind modern home that we love. We are the third owners of this amazing home purchased in 1995 built by Alan Huvard on a corner lot in Memorial Pines. It is time for a major redo and we don't know what is involved in a major rennovation of this type of home. The mcmansions, one recently right next door, are taking over the neighborhood. Even if we choose to build on our lot IT WILL NOT BE one of these mcmansions. It would be a modern home. But I love this house and would like to bring it back to life. My husband and I are in our early 50's. We almost have this home paid for. We are not looking to build or spend to match the one million plus around us. Renovating this home is too large of a project to handle ourselves. I am looking for an architectural/design firm to work with who has a passion for mid-century modern to help us take the next step.

My husband and I need professional advice on what to do with our 1960 one of a kind modern home that we love. We are the third owners of this amazing home purchased in 1995 built by Alan Huvard on a corner lot in Memorial Pines. It is time for a major redo and we don't know what is involved in a major rennovation of this type of home. The mcmansions, one recently right next door, are taking over the neighborhood. Even if we choose to build on our lot IT WILL NOT BE one of these mcmansions. It would be a modern home. But I love this house and would like to bring it back to life. My husband and I are in our early 50's. We almost have this home paid for. We are not looking to build or spend to match the one million plus around us. Renovating this home is too large of a project to handle ourselves. I am looking for an architectural/design firm to work with who has a passion for mid-century modern to help us take the next step.

Take your question to Rice or UH's architecture programs,

you def will find someone w/ the sensitivity & creative energy to address your concerns and recommend you the appropriate architect for your job.

If you are planning on restoring, don't even bother with making cost part of the argument. To do it, and do it right, it will absolutely cost more than tearing down and starting new. You will also likely never recover the costs of the restore either.

However, if you love the home, and you're going to stay there, go for it. It will have to be for passion, not resale.

It is almost always cheaper to renovate/remodel. And it is always cheaper in a well taken care of home. I have seen other posts that claim remodeling will cost $150 to $300 per square foot which is totally insane. I have never approached a number like that even in million dollar homes. However, depending on how small your home is you might never recover the costs of the remodel considering the value of the lot but, if you don't plan on leaving then that shouldn't be a consideration.

I do think you answered your own question when you refered to it as one of a kind... why would you want to tear down a one of a kind home?

I've never once heard anyone claim that remodeling is cheaper than building new. If by remodel you mean paint, sand, finish, sure. But to completely redo a home is far more expensive.

Granted, it is much cheaper if the home has been well maintained, but to remodel a nearly 50 year old home, which would require being brought to current code as well, it would be much more expensive than tearing down and building a new home.

I don't believe that at all. Willowisp's house is a good example. That house took an EXTENSIVE restoration, and you could never have paid to demolish the house and build an equivalent size house for anything close to what they spent restoring it.

I've never once heard anyone claim that remodeling is cheaper than building new. If by remodel you mean paint, sand, finish, sure. But to completely redo a home is far more expensive.

Granted, it is much cheaper if the home has been well maintained, but to remodel a nearly 50 year old home, which would require being brought to current code as well, it would be much more expensive than tearing down and building a new home.

You used the right word the first time. A remodel job can be made as light-duty or heavy-duty as the market will bear, but a true and full restoration intended to make the home a museum unto itself does get cost prohibitive for most people.

I have done it many times... I have never approached new construction costs.

Now you have heard it... ;)