City Of South Houston

Did anyone else here live in the City of South Houston in the 50ies? We lived on Pecan Dr which had Pecan trees in the esplanades for years until according to my parents, "too many people ran into them when they were drunk" and they were all cut down.

Do you remember Mobud's Department store? Tom's Treat on Spencer in front of the swimming pool? The South Houston Theater where I saw "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" at least three times and was scared to death by "Black Sunday" a vampire movie, still one of my favorites?

Who was the long time mayor of S. Houston? He had a "palatial" (to a small child) white stucco home on the main drag. Charlie Holocheck had a meat market farther down the road. We lived there until I was 7...halcyon days. I remember the guys who would drive around the neighborhoods demonstrating yoyos, a hula hoop contest at a local car lot, riding my trike down the street after the "stink man" spraying DDT (good Lord!), the old Kellog's plant.

Lotsa memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else here live in the City of South Houston in the 50ies? We lived on Pecan Dr which had Pecan trees in the esplanades for years until according to my parents, "too many people ran into them when they were drunk" and they were all cut down.

Do you remember Mobud's Department store? Tom's Treat on Spencer in front of the swimming pool? The South Houston Theater where I saw "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" at least three times and was scared to death by "Black Sunday" a vampire movie, still one of my favorites?

Who was the long time mayor of S. Houston? He had a "palatial" (to a small child) white stucco home on the main drag. Charlie Holocheck had a meat market farther down the road. We lived there until I was 7...halcyon days. I remember the guys who would drive around the neighborhoods demonstrating yoyos, a hula hoop contest at a local car lot, riding my trike down the street after the "stink man" spraying DDT (good Lord!), the old Kellog's plant.

Lotsa memories.

I did not grow up in South Houston, but my parents did. I spent a lot of time there as a child, in the sixties though. Just the other day my mother was lamenting about the state of the old movie theater. She was saddened to see how it has decayed.

Was the mayor of South Houston that you speak of, named Mayor Christie? Where exactly is Pecan Drive? Where on Spencer, was Mobud's Dept. store and Tom's Treat? I remember the house that the mayor lived in, it still stands and is in terrible shape. I think it's a used car dealership now. I sure would have liked to see the inside of that house when it was still in good shape. I don't know if you remember a little hamburger stand that was named " The Point", it sat across the street from the mayor's house. They made good hamburgers there. I was surpriesed to see that it had been torn down.

I did not grow up in South Houston, but my parents did. I spent a lot of time there as a child, in the sixties though. Just the other day my mother was lamenting about the state of the old movie theater. She was saddened to see how it has decayed.

Was the mayor of South Houston that you speak of, named Mayor Christie? Where exactly is Pecan Drive? Where on Spencer, was Mobud's Dept. store and Tom's Treat? I remember the house that the mayor lived in, it still stands and is in terrible shape. I think it's a used car dealership now. I sure would have liked to see the inside of that house when it was still in good shape. I don't know if you remember a little hamburger stand that was named " The Point", it sat across the street from the mayor's house. They made good hamburgers there. I was surpriesed to see that it had been torn down.

Mayor Christie, that's right. I do remember The Point, but not from my childhood. It closed sometime in the 90ies, I think. Tom's Treat was on the south side of Spenser directly in front of the S. Houston swimming pool. The water tower was right behind the pool. The last time I went by there - it's been years ago - Tom's structure was still there, but it was a used-car place. Pecan Drive is the first street that runs parallel to Old Galveston to the east of it. It doesn't intersect with Spenser. You'd turn into my old neighborhood one more intersection south off Old Galveston...pretty sure! Mobud's was on the west side of Old Galveston; I'm not sure which street.

Ask your Mom if she remembers a tiny dress shop that was next to the movie theater. It was called "Helen's Dress Shop," and was owned by my mother's friend, Helen White. She had a fashion show at Pearl Hall Elementary (1958?) and I was in it.

• The title was changed to City Of South Houston

Archived