Help! We need help finding the right neighborhood

Alright, I live at Kirkwood and Memorial and I see or experience none of this "ghetto stuff" mentioned, so being east of the Beltway has nothing to do with it. Yes, there is a huge apartment area a mile or so up the road, but where in urban Houston will you NOT find that?

I agree. I actually lived on Wilcrest just north of Briar Forest back at the turn of the century. I think if there's any Memorial "ghetto", it's there, and not at Kirkwood & Briar Forest - where btw, they are renovating all those apartments and turning them into privately owned condos.

I agree. I actually lived on Wilcrest just north of Briar Forest back at the turn of the century. I think if there's any Memorial "ghetto", it's there, and not at Kirkwood & Briar Forest - where btw, they are renovating all those apartments and turning them into privately owned condos.

Jim MacIngvale has bought up a few complexes and changing the area little by little.A little like what they did at Fountain View and San Felipe. Honestly, if they would just shut down FoodTown, I think the dynamics of that whole intersection would change.

Alright, I live at Kirkwood and Memorial and I see or experience none of this "ghetto stuff" mentioned, so being east of the Beltway has nothing to do with it. Yes, there is a huge apartment area a mile or so up the road, but where in urban Houston will you NOT find that? I tend not to be all squirrelie about that stuff when I live somewhere that actually has a patrol.Western Memorial has lived with those complexes for decades with no major problems. Our subdivision hasn't had a home break-in in over 20 years. Heck when we lived in Tanglewood, there were apartments where people were killing each other within a 1/2 mile.

People can be a victim of crime anywhere in Houston or outside of Houston. "Ghetto" patches are everywhere, and until this town becomes too expensive for the bad elements to afford, they will be here. Even in River Oaks and West U I've heard of more serious crime occuring than I've known of out here. Personal awareness, good neighborhood patrol and watchful older neighbors are a huge help.

That all being said, I would think the Central part of town would probably be the best area after reading your wants. However, if you find the lot sizes too small and the type house too expensive, Memorial really is a wonderful place to live. For kids coming home from college on weekends or holidays, they are all hanging out here and go to each others houses. Its little more "sleepy," but nothing like suburbia. I am energized everytime I go out the door here, and I bore very easily.

Well you must not be looking too hard. I live in Fondren Southwest and this area looks like River Oaks compared to where I live. However, Briar Forest between Wilcrest and Kirkwood has more than one large lower income apartment complex. I never said the lady should worry about violent crime, but West U. has less overall crime. Of course Houston has "ghetto" patches everywhere but Memorial @ Kirkwood happens to be close to one. Overall that part of Houston doesn't have much crime, but when comparing that part of W. Houston to West U, West U. is more safe.

• 5 months later...

Unless your hubby is required to work w/in the energy corridor (and/or you hate cities), then your best bet is as close in as you can afford (on the near west or near SW sides of town). You can happily live your life and NEVER visit Kirkwood/Memorial (and similar distant suburb/exurbs) and never need to do so. Odds are good you will travel "in", on the other hand for everything from specialized med care at the world's largest med center, to the zoo, the museums, the best shopping, the Astros, Rockets, and Texans, festivals, Harris County jury duty and...you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong per se w/Kirkwood/Memorial - it quite attractive and it has better amenities than most areas miles from town.

There is, however, a good reason why traffic and future skyrocketing population #s are such popular topics on HAIF. I'm not sure you want to be at the mercy of our transit/freeway folks.

Southampton, Southgate, Bellaire, Meyerland, Afton Oaks, Ferndale Place, Davy Crockett (and others) tend to offer 20 min. round trips to the important places. Educated, academically-minded residents and most all the nation's 4th largest city offers.

Buckhead sets a reasonably high standard, BTW !!!!

Archived