Suggestions For Building Own Home?

duncan

Hi all,

I really like the newer dense construction in Houston and would like to live somewhere urban. But I have looked at lots of townhomes and have not seen any that I liked enough to make an offer.

I would like a place that is 3 stories high and built with masonry but that still has enough room on the lot for a pool.

Maybe it is not economically feasible to build with masonry in Houston? Can anyone reccommend a local builder who has experience with custom building of masonry houses?

Thanks

Duncan

I work with a builder/architect, MDGi, that builds a lot with CMU, i.e. concrete masonry units. The concrete blocks are often painted and from a distance looks a lot like stucco. Some of the houses have exposed concrete block walls inside. What price range are you looking in? The location will change the price quite a bit due to land values.

I work with a builder/architect, MDGi, that builds a lot with CMU, i.e. concrete masonry units. The concrete blocks are often painted and from a distance looks a lot like stucco. Some of the houses have exposed concrete block walls inside. What price range are you looking in? The location will change the price quite a bit due to land values.

Good point about MDGi. My friend owns a house they built and it is very nice.

I like CMUs. I also like the blocks that look like limestone - I saw a lot of them in Austin.

Price is not yet determined. Location is as near to Montrose as I can get after I have budgeted for the house.

The problem I have is that I haven't seen a townhome in the 300+ range that I like and if I am going to spend a lot of money I think I might be able to build something I really like instead.

I need to speak with some builders to know if what I want is realistic. In Austin they were quoting 120+ a square foot several years ago.

Duncan