West Belt Tollway

Does anyone have any idea how much revenue BW8 brings in. With all the traffic on weekdays I would think they would be making a fortune. I know that have to pay back huge bond payments and pay for all the upkeep/expansiopns and G&A expenses, but is there a plan to one day be even and open it up for everyone. Would that kill it and make it another 610 with bumper to bumper traffic?

I guess they also use surplus to help finance new projects like the Westpark and Ft Bend Tollway (Harris County Portions)

I for one would be willing to pay to use future toll ways if they meant saving time. But I am lucky to have a little disposable income.

But I am lucky to have a little disposable income.

My data shows 169,000 vehicles per day in 2001 at the busiest toll plaza at that time - Briar Forest. That translates to about $62 million per year at that one plaza. According to HGAC, revenue was $235 million in 2002. That was before the toll increase. Their projection is an average of $434 million per year from now to 2025 - around $10 billion total. See page 41 of

http://www.h-gac.com/NR/rdonlyres/eylpkbdh...inalversion.pdf

In the present political climate, the Sam Houston Tollway and all other tollways will NEVER be untolled. HCTRA is allowed to continue tolling all facilities as long as it has outstanding debt. HCTRA will continue taking on new debt to build new tollways such as the Grand Parkway. Furthermore, the toll revenue provides a good slush fund for Commissioners Court to dole out engineering and construction contracts to their contributors. The Sam Houston Tollway will be a fallback revenue source to support other toll projects, in case they don't meet revenue needs.

Harris County Commissioners Court will become Democratic at some point in the future, possibly soon. Soaking us with heavy tolls is largely a Repulican policy (it's not a tax - nevermind that it is far more costly than a tax and less efficient.) Who knows what direction a future Democratic Commissioners court will take.

But I am lucky to have a little disposable income.

Watch out. Driving around Houston and Texas may take *a lot* of disposable income if Governor Goodhair and his toll henchmen have their way.

Maitenance must cost a fortune. Do you know if it was built out of breadsticks and shellac? It looks like its in really sorry shape south of Westheimer.

That section of the Sam Houston, as well as a section of the Hardy Toll Road, was built with defective concrete. River gravel was used instead of limestone. Concrete should stay in good shape for 30 years, but those sections were in bad shape after 3 years. Sooner or later HCTRA is going to have to break down and repave those sections.

• 2 weeks later...
That section of the Sam Houston, as well as a section of the Hardy Toll Road, was built with defective concrete. River gravel was used instead of limestone. Concrete should stay in good shape for 30 years, but those sections were in bad shape after 3 years. Sooner or later HCTRA is going to have to break down and repave those sections.

If it was built with defective concrete I would think someone would be suing someone else. I agree that the tollway already looks outdated and it is barely 15 years old.

Ever notice how the Westpark toll is empty?
This is definitely not music to the ears of the powers that be at the Harris County Toll Road Authority. They NEED that thing to be busy, busy making money.
Its because people know not to even get on it unless they have an EZtag.
Maybe it's also because it's overpriced, maybe it's also because people don't want to spend the money to drive on it or pay for an EZ Tag.
Make it all that way, and then only the serious will be on the freeways.
Are you one of the "serious"? Just kidding! :lol:

But, what if they "make it all that way", and still no one wants to use the tollways? Now, you've got tollroads that aren't generating revenue, what to do, what to do? Hey, I know, let's neglect the maintenance of the free roads, so it will force people to use the tollroads, and then once they start using them, let's raise the price! :lol:

Westpark Tollway usage has been increasing, though it has never had a traffic jam. It's nowhere near the traffic mess that the West Sam Houston Tollway has become. People will get off on the feeders where it is free, like the one at Beechnut where traffic backs up onto the tollway's lanes. We would just have a mess on both sides. Toll booths can take a lot of time to get through.

Ah, I think once westpark reaches Cinco Ranch things will pick up. Not to mention when they start the real work on I-10. I'm already considering it for my new commute if I do end up moving to the museum district.

Am I correct in assuming there isnt a outbound exit for gessner?

The westpark tollway doesn't have many exits and just a few key exits to prevent constant merging areas.

Mainly, the inbound exits are for the Beltway, 59, and Westpark road and Uptown.

The Beltway exit gets you to Westchase.

The 59 exits puts you on tract for Downtown.

The Westpark Road exits gets you to Greenway.

and the termination at Richmond/Post Oak leaves you in Uptown.

The concept for this road was pure commuter traffic for people that live west of Highway 6 and out to the Grand Parkway area.

How many people do not use the beltway now, and instead just use the feeders? Ever notice how the Westpark toll is empty? Its because people know not to even get on it unless they have an EZtag. Make it all that way, and then only the serious will be on the freeways.

Just like those who drive V-8 SUV's and spend $100.00 in gas weekly, people can make the choice to purchase express access to the city. I would gladly pay to know that the freeway would never be backed up. I can't wait until Katy is done and I get the option of toll-lanes to pass all the cheap slugs.

27, I am with you man. I say toll the whole area. I am all about paying extra to get there faster.