The Heights

Boris

Excellent Photos once again!!!

These really make me wanna sell my house in the burbs and move!!!!!

Are all of these in the Heights proper??? These photos make it look like the "transitional" status of the heights should be revoked...

Beautiful shots, Boris - as always!

Excellent Photos once again!!!

These really make me wanna sell my house in the burbs and move!!!!!

Are all of these in the Heights proper??? These photos make it look like the "transitional" status of the heights should be revoked...

Depends what you mean "Heights proper". The earlier photos are of Woodland Heights - home to Bayland, Euclid, Woodland and a host of other streets much revered for their arching, live oak bows.

The commercial bits are along Studewood which separates central Houston Heights (which consists of Houston Heights, primarily, Stude, and a bunch of other subdivs which share less restricted development than Woodland Heights and Norhill to its north).

The latter photos are of central Heights.

As far as transitional status - well, hmmm, - the Heights is ever-changing. We moved here in May, 2005 (we live in the western Heights where we do alot of lasso dancing is done ;) ), and there have been nearly 30 new housing units developed within two blocks of our house since then. That's pretty transitional! We've had some crime, but the Tricons being built on the next block are tromping what was effectively a halfway house from Huntsville that rendered our neighborhood's leading break-in suspect.

What is great about the Heights is the sense of the place. Today, I conversed with 3 neighbors while doing my morning yard work, had a two-hour lunch with a friend at Berryhill, conversed with neighbors for 45 minutes upon my return, and I am posting from my back porch amongst the crickets and the last hoots of the doves. (Okay. There a few barking dogs and a crazy rooster, too). The streets aren't always neatly curbed. There are some really interesting domiciles ('nuff said) I grew up in a small town in northeastern Ohio. I feel like I've returned home when I walk around the Heights or just sit on my porch (thus my call sign, BTW). Also, Mrs. Porchman have the added benefit of being no more than 10 minutes away (often closer) from great culture - food and art :D:D:D .

We would welcome your joining us here, cnote.

Amazing photos. I live in the WH, see these environments every day, and still get chills when I look at pics like this. The neighborhood is very pedestrian friendly, so you're bound to run into friendly folks while walking the dog, riding the bike, or enjoying a pint under the live oaks at one of the many watering holes in the area. For those who haven't been to the Heights in a while, I suggest a Sunday drive. Its funny too, because everyone knows how hard it is to get an Inner Looper to go outside of 610. Well, for me, I take it a step further. Its hard to get me out of the Heights. And from the pics, you can understand why.

how exciting to wake up this morning and see another great post of pictures by boris. it's getting to where i see "boris" and have a surge of pending instant gratification, knowing that i'm about to see plenty of great pictures.

thanks again boris! if you haven't already, don't forget the gallery.

(still kicking myself for not buying in the heights in 94)

Archived