Windwater Village

LyleTx

Looking at har.com, there appears to be a lot of homes for sale in this community. The homes appear to be stylish, tuscan-style townhouses built from 2000 - 2006. Over 2000 s.f. and priced in the low to mid 200K. What gives? Does anyone have any information about the community?

Usually when you see quite a bit of homes for sale in a community it's usually a warning sign, but considering how many foreclosures there are and some homes being unsold, you can pretty much throw those rules out the window.

While I'm not familiar with that neighborhood, I'd still look at it, but just be more vigilant for other problems (poor workmanship, etc).

the original developer either pulled out or so as after the first round of houses were built everything just stopped for a few years and it sat vacant as weeds were coming everywhere and houses were vacant....bad investment in my opinion as right around the corner are low end apartments...

the original developer either pulled out or so as after the first round of houses were built everything just stopped for a few years and it sat vacant as weeds were coming everywhere and houses were vacant....bad investment in my opinion as right around the corner are low end apartments...

If it's still gated, and the homes pass a rigorous inspection, then I don't see how they would be a bad investment. The location is great for the price. As always the only detractors are the selection of public schools.

If it's still gated, and the homes pass a rigorous inspection, then I don't see how they would be a bad investment. The location is great for the price. As always the only detractors are the selection of public schools.

I wouldn't say that the location is great for the price. I don't think there is any price that is good for that location if you are actually going to live there vs. just an invesment. I wouldn't live there if you paid me $500 a month. The problem with this as an invesment is that right or wrong there are a lot of people like me who are so put off by the location that they won't even drive by it to look. I've heard about this place since it was first built but have never been by it because I don't want to be car-jacked.

First of all, the area is fine. I've said a million times before, and I'll say it again, Sharpstown isn't the ghetto ____ hole that people make it out to be. Unfortunately, the news doesn't help because everything that happens in Alief, Fondren SW, Forum Park and many other extremely unsavory areas get lumped in to SW Houston which people associate with Sharpstown.

As far as Windwater Village...

The initial developer went bankrupt but the quality of homes is excellent. I've toured them when the first phase was under construction and the new phase now. There is nothing wrong with the quality of these homes from a construction pov. At the prices they are going for now, they are a great deal considering an older, smaller home in the neighborhoods would run ~150-300k. It is gated, the area is plenty safe. You will also be getting in on a pretty serious bit of appreciation over the next 5-10 years as more and more money begins to be invested in Sharpstown. You can't beat the location, right on 59, minutes from the Galleria, downtown, mid town, the medical center and sugarland.

The area is surrounded by apartments that are a bit run down but over the next few years those will either start to be renovated or torn down. That said, nothing really ever happens over there that is bad. You can drive through there at night with your windows down in a nice car (which I do regularly) and nothing will happen to you.

The new phase has a nice pool and even has a little putting green. I would try to build some money in to the loan to replace some things on the interior like the hollow core PVC doors. But other than that, they aren't a bad deal at all.

I wouldn't say that the location is great for the price. I don't think there is any price that is good for that location if you are actually going to live there vs. just an invesment. I wouldn't live there if you paid me $500 a month. The problem with this as an invesment is that right or wrong there are a lot of people like me who are so put off by the location that they won't even drive by it to look. I've heard about this place since it was first built but have never been by it because I don't want to be car-jacked.

You aren't going to get car jacked in Sharpstown. Forum Park, yes. Sharpstown, no.

First of all, the area is fine. I've said a million times before, and I'll say it again, Sharpstown isn't the ghetto ____ hole that people make it out to be.

There's always someone saying that "Sharpstown is not that bad." or "Greenspoint is not that bad". The fact that you have to say that is proof that the area has a bad reputation. The Sharpstown area is full of old ghetto apartment complexes and strip center business parks. I went through the area when going to lunch a few months ago and saw a prostitute that looked like a skeleton getting out of an 18 wheeler cab parked on the street. There's people with baggy pants down around their ankles everywhere. The place got it's reputation for a reason. Maybe some people have a different set of standards but I sure don't want to live next door to $500 a month apartments.

You're right, there are alot of people like you - they mostly live north of 1960. But there's no crime where-ever it is you live, right?

Stop being so judgemental. I drive through Sharpstown all the time. Up and down Bellaire, Gessner, Fondren, Hillcroft, and the dreaded US59. I even cut through Sharpstown on streets like Bintliff, Bellarive, Harwin, and Sandspoint. I shop at all the stores, day and night when in the area - including the mall (although only during the day at the mall, because yes - specifically, the mall parking lot is dangerous after dark).

I'm a perfect canidate for a car-jacking and have never been messed with. Sharpstown is a perfect cross-section of what the true inner-city is for suburban, sprawling Houston. But you'll never know if you don't grow a set, exit the freeway, and live life.

There are a ton of hookers out on 59 by Hillcroft. There are people with their pants hanging down. There are $500 apartments. All of these things can be found in the area surrounding River Oaks as well.

Sharpstown gets its reputation because of truly bad areas being lumped in with Sharpstown (Forum Park, Fondren SW, Gulfton, Alief, etc). When the news reports something in the "Sharpstown area" or the "Southwest side" they don't both to specify.

In fact, I'd challenge you to find a single car jacking or murder in Sharpstown in the past six months. There might be one, but I highly doubt it. I posted crime stats in another thread back in December and the worst crime was car theft.

And Sharpstown mall is not dangerous after dark. No more dangerous that First Colony mall or the Galleria.

I've also lived in Greenspoint. It is VERY possible to get car jacked there.

I decided to take a drive by this place on the way home from work yesterday. Here's my observations.

1. The guy with no shirt on and about 3 inches of undewear showing hanging out across from the entrance looked like he was probably just out helping people fill prescriptions. His Impala with 20" chrome wheels made the neighborhood look so nice.

2. The intersection of Regency Square and Harwin is so nice that it makes you want to stab your eyes out with skewers. I mean, what's not to like about strip center warehouses selling counterfeit goods from all over Asia?

3. The trees along Regency Square were the only redeeming quality about this place.

4. Location. Awful. I can't think of a single business or aquaintince other than car dealers that are within a mile of this place that I would ever frequent.

5. I drive a very expensive sports car and I'm a nerdy white guy so I felt a little out of place. There was a cop car on Fondren on my way home and I swear I was scared he was going to pull me over and ask me why I was in this neighborhood. Why would anyone with a nice car go there other than to buy drugs?

Only when I crossed Westheimer on Fondren heading North did I feel like I was not in the "hood" anymore. And, no I don't live on 1960. That's another place that makes me want to stab my eyes out. I live in one of the memorial villages and there are no apartments, I never see any drug dealers hanging out on my street and there is very little crime.

I decided to take a drive by this place on the way home from work yesterday. Here's my observations.

4. Location. Awful. I can't think of a single business or aquaintince other than car dealers that are within a mile of this place that I would ever frequent.

With in approximately two miles you have access to EVERYTHING. Name something you would want and I can tell you where to find it close-by. You act like Sharpstown is some red-zone neighborhood in Baghdad that has concrete barriers with only one way in and one way out. Your problem is that you are ignorant to what is around there because you have pre-judged that whole area based on what you've seen on the news.
5. I drive a very expensive sports car and I'm a nerdy white guy so I felt a little out of place. There was a cop car on Fondren on my way home and I swear I was scared he was going to pull me over and ask me why I was in this neighborhood. Why would anyone with a nice car go there other than to buy drugs?
Stop being ridiculous. No one looks out of place anywhere on the southwest side minus a few back alleys that connect the mega-apartment complexes. No one even noticed you. You think only poor people work at any of the Atrium towers all along 59? You think there are no executives that work at Regency Square, any of the mid-rise business offices in Gulfton, Forum Park, or Westwood? And what about HBU down the street as well as any of the 6 figure surgeons working at Memorial Herman southwest? Do you really think you were the only WASP with a nice car to drive on Fondren south of Westheimer yesterday?

What about the 200 to 400k homes in Sharpstown? What about the 300 to 600k homes in Braeburn Valley? I guess they all live there just so they'll have quick access to those drugs you were referring to?

Only when I crossed Westheimer on Fondren heading North did I feel like I was not in the "hood" anymore. And, no I don't live on 1960. That's another place that makes me want to stab my eyes out. I live in one of the memorial villages and there are no apartments, I never see any drug dealers hanging out on my street and there is very little crime.
That explains it all. You do realize that not everyone can live like you? You know, drive a nice car and live in an upper-class neighborhood. Someone has to service your car, do your dry-cleaning, and cook your fast-food meals.

Stop being that guy. Stop being scared of nothing. Get out and live. You're only cheating yourself.

With in approximately two miles you have access to EVERYTHING. Name something you would want and I can tell you where to find it close-by. You act like Sharpstown is some red-zone neighborhood in Baghdad that has concrete barriers with only one way in and one way out. Your problem is that you are ignorant to what is around there because you have pre-judged that whole area based on what you've seen on the news.

I just drove through the area yesterday. I can judge for myself. I have eyes. I've lived many years in Houston without needing to visit any businesses in the Sharpstown area. Why would I go there? Everything I need is a couple of miles North in a good neighborhood.

Oh, and I rarely watch the local news. I'm too busy working hard so I don't have to live in Sharpstown. You don't have to watch the news to see what a mess this place is.

Stop being ridiculous. No one looks out of place anywhere on the southwest side minus a few back alleys that connect the mega-apartment complexes. No one even noticed you. You think only poor people work at any of the Atrium towers all along 59? You think there are no executives that work at Regency Square, any of the mid-rise business offices in Gulfton, Forum Park, or Westwood? And what about HBU down the street as well as any of the 6 figure surgeons working at Memorial Herman southwest? Do you really think you were the only WASP with a nice car to drive on Fondren south of Westheimer yesterday?

All the cars I saw looked like they were less than $20k. I feel sorry for the people who have to work there but at least they don't have to live there.

What about the 200 to 400k homes in Sharpstown? What about the 300 to 600k homes in Braeburn Valley? I guess they all live there just so they'll have quick access to those drugs you were referring to?

I've never heard of Braeburn Valley since there is no reason to ever go anywhere near this area. I looked it up on har.com and the most expensive single family listed is $239k. If someone pays $400k to live in Sharpstown they've got to be out of their mind. Crime or not it's just plain ugly.

I did a search in the 77036 zip code and the most expensive single family I found was in the same complex the original poster was asking about. It's $335k. Most of the listings were under $200k.

HAR Link

That explains it all. You do realize that not everyone can live like you? You know, drive a nice car and live in an upper-class neighborhood. Someone has to service your car, do your dry-cleaning, and cook your fast-food meals.

Stop being that guy. Stop being scared of nothing. Get out and live. You're only cheating yourself.

If you accept the Sharpstown and Harwin area way of living then you probably won't ever live like me.

I'm not scared I just have some taste. It seems like I'm the one living. If hanging out on Harwin and Southwest Houston is how you want to live go ahead.

My problem with people who apologize for neighborhoods like this is that they are the ones who live there and let it go to crap. Have a little pride in where you live. Don't hang out in front of your apt. complex at all times of day with no shirt on. Don't spend hours on the phone at the corner gas station. Don't accept neighborhoods like this, have some standards. These places are an embarassment to the rest of Houston. This is why people call Houston an ugly city.

I've got to say, since I deal with the ridiculously wealthy every day, and have even built in the Memorial Villages, none of them hold the same attitude as you. I build multi-million dollar homes and choose to live in Sharpstown for a reason. Guess what, I drive a pretty nice car too, well over 20k. I regularly roll through in anything ranging from a Quattroporte to a 430 Ferrari. There are a few Bentleys, S550s, 7 series and even an Aston Martin or two parked up at Sharpstown mall at any given point. Guess those were all carjacked from you and your palls as they strolled through.

Seriously, if you don't like the area, fine. But your attitude is piss poor and doesn't resemble that of anyone I know who has actually had to work for their wealth.

I feel sorry for you.

If you accept the Sharpstown and Harwin area way of living then you probably won't ever live like me.

My problem with people who apologize for neighborhoods like this is that they are the ones who live there and let it go to crap. Have a little pride in where you live. Don't hang out in front of your apt. complex at all times of day with no shirt on. Don't spend hours on the phone at the corner gas station. Don't accept neighborhoods like this, have some standards. These places are an embarassment to the rest of Houston. This is why people call Houston an ugly city.

Your so wrong its almost not even worth trying to correct. You're judging the hard working people who DO fight to keep their residential neighborhoods nice by the actions of apartment renters they can not control. I can tell now that you have NOT taken the time to drive through any of the residential neighborhoods in the area and see how much pride the homeowners have. If they didn't have pride then Sharpstown proper would look like Towne West, Camden Park, or Mission Bend. But you wouldn't know that because you have even taken a chance on driving through, and exploring the neighborhood.

You are so focused on these apartments that I really don't think you've given anything outside your safe Memorial enclave a fair chance at passing judgement. There are crummy low-rent apartments all over the city. Do you really think that you're safe where you are? Do you think that the renters from the Gessner/Long Point area just don't frequent the Memorial City Mall or any of the stores around there? If I were to judge by your standards, I would not be able to accept your lifestyle because you allow yourself to share your commercial amenities with low-rent apartment dwellers. How disgusting.

Thank God I'm not like that. And No - based on what you've said so far, I don't want to live a sheltered, privileged life. Like you.

I'm not scared I just have some taste. It seems like I'm the one living. If hanging out on Harwin and Southwest Houston is how you want to live go ahead.

Well, if this is what you call living:

I drive a very expensive sports car and I'm a nerdy white guy so I felt a little out of place. There was a cop car on Fondren on my way home and I swear I was scared he was going to pull me over and ask me why I was in this neighborhood. Why would anyone with a nice car go there other than to buy drugs?

..then I'll pass. This is the statement of a sheltered and privileged person.

I can proudly say that in my A4 I've been all over this city, and never felt like you stated. Granted, I am very cautious and careful of where and when I go - but never scared or paranoid? Never. The same can be said of almost everyone here on the forum. Perhaps its all of us who travel to areas like Glenbrook, Hardy Yards, Garden Oaks, Sharpstown, or Third Ward that are the ones not living - but I doubt thats the case.

Don't accept neighborhoods like this, have some standards. These places are an embarassment to the rest of Houston. This is why people call Houston an ugly city.
No, its crappy close-minded attitudes like yours that are an embarrassment to the rest of Houston.

I'm not saying that Sharpstown is not without its faults - but to just write it off is the exact attitude by non-Sharpstown residents over the last 30 years that put it in the shape its in.

Alright GWilson, I've said my peace. It's all yours from here on out.

I'm done with him as well. I would like to know what his very expensive car is though. I drove by the mall earlier today to pick up some lunch and there was an SLR sitting in front of the main entrance. The white guy that was driving it was very well dressed and was entertaining questions for a diverse group of people about his car with pride and glee. I saw no knees knocking together, no look of fear. He felt safe because, guess what, it is safe. He is just as safe there as he is at the Galleria.

Anyway, I'm done.

I did a radio gig at the wells fargo building next to the colorado club for 4 years so I saw first-hand the development of Windwater

I don't see much resale there in the future as I doubt I would pay for stucco houses..the area right near the homes is quiet as I've spent many nights hanging outside the building runing my mouth only to see a few cars pass only to use the ATM at the building...

what makes the area attractive somewhat is that it's secluded and most of the traffic is away but at times its a little too quiet and not well-lit at night...if I had cash to burn and want to live close but not too close at somewhat of an affordable area (by city standards)

HISD is mostly magnet anyway so the schools will never be an issue

• 3 weeks later...

I too was looking at this windwater & villas di tuscaany...

I know sharpstown isn't the greatest of area, but check out what you get for the price. I do know know hands-on about building quality--but LOCATION is good!

I'm asian, so being 8 minutes from bellaire is great! Right now I live in katy, but work around 290/610--that's about 60 miles a day (roundtrip) , I fill up my car with $50 premium about twice a week. So living closer is a bonus...

But people are paying for same or even $100k more for same type of homes in the Heights, i10& washington, etc...

1/4 million dollar homes/townhomes, next to run down shacks in the "hood". They say the lower income houses will get pushed out, but doesn't seem like it--and what wait 10 years for them to slowly move out?

These "windwater & villas di tuscaany" are gated with gaurd right? then what is the downside? live over by midtown in an older build for $150-200k premium?

The plus side is that people like you, will make it easier for people like me to deal down the price and get an awesom deal on these gems.

but maybe I still have to research a lot more...

If you're thinking long term and have some dough to spend, Windwater Village or homes in that area are a good investment. I really believe in 5-6 yrs, that area will be revitalized. Hey, if property values around Dowling St are going up, then surely this area of Sharpstown is going to see the light of day too! For single people, i don't see it as problem living there with the gates. If i was married with kids, that would be a different matter. It would be a great place for me too as it is close to Chinatown and considering how much i dine out, pretty much a no-brainer. Now only if i had some spare cash to spend..haha

Looking at har.com, there appears to be a lot of homes for sale in this community. The homes appear to be stylish, tuscan-style townhouses built from 2000 - 2006. Over 2000 s.f. and priced in the low to mid 200K. What gives? Does anyone have any information about the community?

I actually went into one of these when they first built them. It was the first time i had seen this type of home. 3-Story with kitchen on 2nd floor i believe. This was back in 97' or 98'(?), definitely before 00'. After that visit, i never returned, so i didn't follow up. Can't recall the prices at the time.

I remember a gate but it was never closed and no guard when I was around there....

the washington avenue and midtown areas have done a quick job of acquiring propety and pushing folks out....I went to the Fonde Rec Center in 1991 and it was 4th ward then....10 years later I drive by the Fonde on Sabine Street and all I saw was loft apartments and hardly any resemblence of 4th ward....

Sharpstown won't change as there's no where else for folks to go as everywhere south is zoned..

Sharpstown won't change as there's no where else for folks to go as everywhere south is zoned..

Sure there are places for people to go. The only people bringing the neighborhood down are the apartment dwellers. They're as nomadic as it gets.

I remember a gate but it was never closed and no guard when I was around there....

Every time I've driven by, there was a guard. During the day, the gate is open to allow people to look. I drove by just yesterday after leaving the Ferrari dealership down the freeway to check on the construction of the new area, which is booming, and there was a guard on duty at the first location.

Sharpstown is already changing and will continue to do so. Property values are already on the rapid rise and show no sign of slowing. There are plenty of places for the apartment dwellers to move (Alief, Fondren SW, Gulfton, Forum Park, Club Creek...you know, the crappy areas that get lumped in with Sharpstown and give it its bad reputation for those who choose not to learn anything about the area).

The area is historically significant, great location, great people, beautiful neighborhoods, pretty decent golf course for a public one with property values on the rise and pride of ownership in droves by its homeowners. Sharpstown is a great place if you'd bother to scratch the surface.

I too was looking at this windwater & villas di tuscaany...

I know sharpstown isn't the greatest of area, but check out what you get for the price. I do know know hands-on about building quality--but LOCATION is good!

I'm asian, so being 8 minutes from bellaire is great! Right now I live in katy, but work around 290/610--that's about 60 miles a day (roundtrip) , I fill up my car with $50 premium about twice a week. So living closer is a bonus...

But people are paying for same or even $100k more for same type of homes in the Heights, i10& washington, etc...

1/4 million dollar homes/townhomes, next to run down shacks in the "hood". They say the lower income houses will get pushed out, but doesn't seem like it--and what wait 10 years for them to slowly move out?

These "windwater & villas di tuscaany" are gated with gaurd right? then what is the downside? live over by midtown in an older build for $150-200k premium?

The plus side is that people like you, will make it easier for people like me to deal down the price and get an awesom deal on these gems.

but maybe I still have to research a lot more...

It sounds like an idea fit for you. If you can buy at the right price, and perhaps get one while under construction so you can make your customizations to it, pull the trigger. Invest yourself in a worthwhile area.

Archived