Historic Houston Cemeteries

Cemeterywolf

If anyone is interested in Historic Houston down-under, the sleeping grounds of Houston's past.

Cemeteries of Harris County by George E. Wolf Jr.

http://www.freewebs.com/boneyardwolf/

Thanks GEW

Great job on documenting Houston's historic cemeteries! I have been monitoring your efforts for years now on the website.

I would like to share some information on the Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery, an African-American cemetery located in southeast Houston at 7700 Bowie. Arguably, it may well be the oldest surviving African-American cemetery in Houston. It dates back to before 1864. When we researched the cemetery for a historical marker that stands there now, we came across a county land deed that mentions it. On May 12, 1864, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos, and Colorado Railway Company sold 10 acres to a local rancher in Harrisburg named Prosper Laborde. The 10 acres included "a part of the grave yard."

Please post this information on your website.

Edited by Fez1964

If anyone is interested in Historic Houston down-under, the sleeping grounds of Houston's past.

Cemeteries of Harris County by George E. Wolf Jr.

http://www.freewebs.com/boneyardwolf/

Thanks GEW

Do you have any idea what the name/age of the one is right across the street from Stonewall Jackson Middle School on Polk Street in Near East End?

We seldom knew the name and still see visitors laying out flowers for loved ones. It seems very, very old. :)

Do you have any idea what the name/age of the one is right across the street from Stonewall Jackson Middle School on Polk Street in Near East End?

We seldom knew the name and still see visitors laying out flowers for loved ones. It seems very, very old. :)

Are you talking about Evergreen Cemetery?? not exactly RIGHT across the street

or is there another cemetery near Jackson MS?

Are you talking about Evergreen Cemetery?? not exactly RIGHT across the street

or is there another cemetery near Jackson MS?

Correction!

This small cemetary is across north of the school but up about 1/2 mile. It is next to the Rail road tracks.

Edited by Vertigo58

Great job on documenting Houston's historic cemeteries! I have been monitoring your efforts for years now on the website.

I would like to share some information on the Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery, an African-American cemetery located in southeast Houston at 7700 Bowie. Arguably, it may well be the oldest surviving African-American cemetery in Houston. It dates back to before 1864. When we researched the cemetery for a historical marker that stands there now, we came across a county land deed that mentions it. On May 12, 1864, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos, and Colorado Railway Company sold 10 acres to a local rancher in Harrisburg named Prosper Laborde. The 10 acres included "a part of the grave yard."

Please post this information on your website.

This is a call to all parties interested in preserving the Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery located in southeast Houston near Milby High School. To keep this cemetery landscaped, a group needs to be formed to raise funds. I know a few folks who have expressed interest but we need to get together to concentrate our efforts.

No one legally owns the cemetery and the City of Houston will not provide maintenance. Believe me, I have involved with the project since the late 1990s and assisted with the Texas Historical Marker you see on the grounds.

Some big-hearted person has recently gone into the grounds to landscape the front portion of the cemetery. But I know that they will soon need help before the growing season starts again. While the grass is cut is an ideal time to form a concerned group, raise funds, and start paying someone to perpetually maintain the grounds. My estimation is that it would take a few thousand dollars annually to maintain the cemetery. For a concerned group of a few persons, raising a few thousand dollars each year should not be that difficult.

Contact me if you are interested or have ideas.

Olivewood Cemetery is pretty old as well I saw some stuff in there that dates from the 1860's. It has only been recently cleaned up a bit. It is located behind Grocer's Supply on Studemont. It's got some really neat stuff in it.

2134399847_153295a112.jpg

2135180578_53f4706012_b.jpg

2134373731_5c6de1367e_b.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Historic Houston Cemeteries