Proposals For Development Downtown

suzerain

Developers are competing to turn a key downtown Austin block into a place to live, shop and find entertainment.

Advertisement

Suzerain

Hey Suzerain, I see you have been pitching new developments in Austin quite a bit recently. If you were from Austin, then I would understand. If you are in Houston, then I have one word: Traitor! Just kidding! :D

As I mentioned before, it is nice to see what's happening in nearby cities and possibly learn from that. I happened to be in Austin recently and was trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. It took me a while to figure that out. It seems that a big part of city isn

Hey Suzerain, I see you have been pitching new developments in Austin quite a bit recently. If you were from Austin, then I would understand. If you are in Houston, then I have one word: Traitor! Just kidding!  :D

As I mentioned before, it is nice to see what's happening in nearby cities and possibly learn from that. I happened to be in Austin recently and was trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. It took me a while to figure that out. It seems that a big part of city isn

I guess I am a traitor because I do live in Houston.  I did live in Austin for a while and really enjoyed the time that I lived there. 

To the west of Austin, where the Hills begin, is West Lake Hills.  That little burg is quite strict in zoning requirements.  I had a friend who went to law school in Austin and he always complained he could not find stores in that area because the lots were so wooded and restrictions kept signage to a minimum.  You are right though, it is a beautiful area.

Downtown Austin just seems much more vibrant than here.  The city seems to be doing everything it can to ensure that the downtown area becomes a destination for people to work, live, and play.  I, like you, want Houston to learn from its neighbors and develop some of the same kinds of areas

I was born and raised in Houston.......and went to college in Austin. I love both cites as well and always want to see them do well. Do you think Austin will ever surpass Dallas or San Antonio in population? Not that Austinites want that. They already moan about the "Houston-like" traffic. :rolleyes:

I guess I am a traitor because I do live in Houston.  I did live in Austin for a while and really enjoyed the time that I lived there. 

To the west of Austin, where the Hills begin, is West Lake Hills.  That little burg is quite strict in zoning requirements.  I had a friend who went to law school in Austin and he always complained he could not find stores in that area because the lots were so wooded and restrictions kept signage to a minimum.  You are right though, it is a beautiful area.

Downtown Austin just seems much more vibrant than here.  The city seems to be doing everything it can to ensure that the downtown area becomes a destination for people to work, live, and play.  I, like you, want Houston to learn from its neighbors and develop some of the same kinds of areas

Any info. about a new 41 storey highrise planned for Austin? (see Emporis.com)

• 1 year later...
Any info. about a new 41 storey highrise planned for Austin? (see Emporis.com)

That building is now 47 stories, Not only that but we have a new 48 story tower thats in the works. The companies that are building these buildings are now in a skyscraper battle to see whos building will be the tallest. Its actually very exciting and its quite possible when all is said and done, one or both of these buildings may be 50+ stories high. Austin will have 3 buildings over 40 stories tall. Several buildings over 30 stories tall are also in the works. In the next 5 years Austin may very well have the 3rd most impressive skyline in Texas.

That building is now 47 stories, Not only that but we have a new 48 story tower thats in the works. The companies that are building these buildings are now in a skyscraper battle to see whos building will be the tallest. Its actually very exciting and its quite possible when all is said and done, one or both of these buildings may be 50+ stories high. Austin will have 3 buildings over 40 stories tall. Several buildings over 30 stories tall are also in the works. In the next 5 years Austin may very well have the 3rd most impressive skyline in Texas.

As far as i am concerned, it already IS the 3rd most impressive skyline in TX. I have been reading several articles in various newspapers and a video clip which says Austin's skyline is going to be altered drastically by 2011-12. One developer interviewed said the change was going to be as drastic as Austin's changed look from mid- 70s to mid-80s. WOW, if that is true, i cannot wait to see the transformation.

For awhile, Austin was limited when it came to the heighth of skyscrapers due to the airport near downtown and because zoning forbade competing with the State Capitol sight line.

BUT, now that the airport is further out and most of the developement is going to run south of the Capitol building, it seems the sky is the limit, so to speak. I am glad we have investors willing to back the urban growth which i feel is condusive to Austin's future. Austin is in a unique position in which mass transit friendly people live there, so building UP instead of OUT can be achieved. :rolleyes:

m.

• 2 months later...

It is not out of the question that within the next year we could be hearing of proposals of buildings over 60+ stories. Austin is in the middle of a huge urban transformation that this city has never seen in its history. This will surpass the building boom of the 80s and will definatly be one of the most expansive in terms of buildings going up in parts of downtown that do not have any tall buildings to when all is said and done will have several. Example, the West End and the Waterfront district.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an interesting artical.

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE

Museum negotiating on museum-condo project

Famous architectural firm would design new home for museum.

By Shonda Novak, Jeanne Claire van Ryzin

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Austin could get a second downtown building designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli, an internationally known architectural firm.

The Austin Museum of Art is negotiating with local developer Tom Stacy to develop a museum and adjoining condominium project to be designed by the architectural firm founded by Cesar Pelli.

The firm also is designing a 47-story, mixed-use high-rise that Stacy plans to build at Fifth Street and Congress Avenue.

In October, the museum invited more than 40 developers to become potential partners on a mixed-use development that would give the museum a permanent home downtown.

The museum narrowed the list to three. A spokesman declined to name the other top contenders because there's not yet a final agreement with Stacy.

Museum officials, however, are optimistic.

"We have total confidence in Tom," said David Wyatt, the museum's director of marketing and public relations.

Executive Director Dana Friis-Hansen said the museum is "excited about the prospect" of a deal with Stacy.

"This is just a small step forward in our strategic plan," Friis-Hansen said. "Right now we're doing our due diligence to see if a relationship is possible."

The museum has been housed since 1995 at 823 Congress Ave., which Stacy owns. Friis-Hansen said Stacy has been "a very good landlord, especially during the difficult times we had during the economic downturn."

The new project would be built on museum-owned land bounded by Third, Fourth, Guadalupe and San Antonio streets. Pelli Clarke Pelli has done some preliminary conceptual drawings, but the museum is not yet ready to release them. Wyatt said the proposed development "is going to be a unified project on the whole block."

"It's not going to be generic condos adjacent to our (museum) building," he said. "It will be a connected structure, all integrated on the ground level."

The condo building would occupy about half of the lot, Wyatt said.

The financial terms of the deal, the size of the condo part and other details have yet to be worked out.

Stacy declined to comment, saying through a spokeswoman that he preferred any comment to come from museum officials at this stage.

The project would realize a longstanding dream for the museum, which has had to cancel two previous projects

• 1 month later...

Hotel/condo project has an Austin attitude

Moniker of upscale Hotel Van Zandt reflects the names and notes of Texas.

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Developers plan to start work by the end of the year on the Hotel Van Zandt, a 29-story boutique hotel with 55 luxury condominiums at Red River and Davis streets, part of an emerging wave of high-rise residential and hotel projects on downtown's eastern edge.

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, based in San Francisco, will manage the hotel, a $100 million project being developed by JMI Realty LLC of San Diego.

The hotel will have 290 rooms, a 5,000-square-foot outdoor deck, a ballroom and a 100-seat restaurant, said Greg Clay, senior vice president of JMI. The condominiums will range in price from $500,000 for the smallest units, 1,450 square feet, to more than $2 million for 5,000-square-foot units. They'll have a separate entrance and a private pool.

The Van Zandt will be adjacent to the Shore, a 22-story condominium project already under construction by High Street Residential, an arm of Trammell Crow Co.

Nearby, Constellation Properties plans to build a $250 million luxury condominium and hotel project on three acres at Red River and East Cesar Chavez streets.

"Downtown Austin is really heating up," said Clay, the JMI executive. "The residential market downtown is really strong, as is the hotel market. Because our project includes both of these uses, we feel really good about it."

exterior_lg.jpg

Archived