New To Houston--need Advice

msepi

Hello all,

I have been reading HAIF since I moved to Houston back in August, and I am a huge fan!! I wish all cities had something similar.

I am currently renting, but I wish to buy a small house in the next 6 months or so. I have been doing some research and a lot of driving around, but I wanted some opinions on where to purchase. I probably will not stay in Houston beyond 4 years, so I am trying to find an area that will have the most appreciation, but at the same time not be an extremely transitional neighborhood where I would feel uncomfortable living (I am a single female). I don't mind a fixer-upper, and I have done quite a bit of renovating to previous properties, but the property has to be livable, since I plan to move in immediately. A 2/1 is fine but would prefer a little bit bigger house if possible (at least an extra 1/2 bath). I would like to stay under $120K and lower if it needs a lot of work.

I also need to be close to the Med Center. I like Glenbrook Valley, Westbury, Robindell, and some parts of Sharpstown. I absolutely love Garden Villas!! Are there other areas that I should be considering?? Out of these areas, which one do you think will have the best resale value (with some improvements to property) in 4 years??

Oh, one other thing, I love the Mid Century Modern homes that are so abundant in Houston!!

Thanks for your response!!

You may want to check the East End forum if you haven't done so and ask the regulars there. Eastwood (http://www.eastwood-houston.com/) may fit your criteria and budget the best, but there might be other neighborhoods. If you are able to spend a bit more and find a place in Idylwood or Houston Country club you will not regret it -- homes there are appreciating like crazy.

There is also this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=13022.

Edited by Darth Darth Binks

You may want to check the East End forum if you haven't done so and ask the regulars there. Eastwood (http://www.eastwood-houston.com/) may fit your criteria and budget the best, but there might be other neighborhoods. If you are able to spend a bit more and find a place in Idylwood or Houston Country club you will not regret it -- homes there are appreciating like crazy.

There is also this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=13022.

Eastwood, Idylwood, and even most of Houston Country Club are already probably out of her price range, but I concur that other neighborhoods near there might fit the bill both for size and location. Broadmoor, Lawndale, Forest Hill, Mason Park. Each of those neighborhoods are good places to start. All are in the 77023 zip code.

Speaking in broad generalities I think Westbury has one of the better appreciation potentials out of list. The real trick will be to "buy right." If you can get a house in Garden Villas under market, for example, you would probably come out ahead over a renovated one in say, Robindell. It just depends.

Also, in each of these areas a lot of it will depend upon what section you get into. Avoiding the middle section of Garden Villas, or too far south in Westbury or Glenbrook, or too farth north in Robindell. If you pick the right location within each of the listed nabes, that will make a difference. Also pay attention to the price per foot and compare it to the overall market within the subdivision.

Thanks to everyone for the good information!!!! Did I mention that I love this forum??!!!

Is there some general guidance on price per square foot??? I realize this will vary widely between different areas, but is there a cut off for the neighborhoods I have mentioned that would be considered a "good deal"??

Thanks again!

Is there some general guidance on price per square foot??? I realize this will vary widely between different areas, but is there a cut off for the neighborhoods I have mentioned that would be considered a "good deal"??

Hard to say. Varies by neighborhood, and then even within the neighborhood by the size of the lot and quality of improvements. Let us know once you've narrowed your focus a bit.

Speaking in broad generalities I think Westbury has one of the better appreciation potentials out of list. The real trick will be to "buy right." If you can get a house in Garden Villas under market, for example, you would probably come out ahead over a renovated one in say, Robindell. It just depends.

Also, in each of these areas a lot of it will depend upon what section you get into. Avoiding the middle section of Garden Villas, or too far south in Westbury or Glenbrook, or too farth north in Robindell. If you pick the right location within each of the listed nabes, that will make a difference. Also pay attention to the price per foot and compare it to the overall market within the subdivision.

How far south is too far in Westbury? Past Hillcroft? Or too close to 90? Or both?

Speaking in broad generalities I think Westbury has one of the better appreciation potentials out of list.

That's what I was thinking, too. Glenbrook Valley might also be a good option but it has a pretty uninspiring string of townhomes square in the middle of it plus a stretch of unspectacular apartment complexes closer to the airport, otherwise the homes are lovely.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I am currently working with a buyer in that price range that grew up in Meyerland, so Robindell (plus Braes Timbers and Braeburn Terrace) and Westbury were high on her list. Robindell has some nice houses, but there isn't a huge spread between the low end and the high end, so it might not make financial sense. My buyer doesn't have the money to fix a home up, so we needed something in pretty good condition. I think we finally have the right house and are in the process of negotiating repairs.

I agree that Westbury has more upside if the house has good bones, but you won't find much availability in your price range. Most in your range will be in Westbury South (not great for resale), Westbury 4 (better for resale, but not ideal) or on a major street (again, not great for resale).

Some say that Sharpstown is nice, but it seems like many Houstonians don't want to go anywhere near it. The mall's reputation, along with main streets in the area (like Fondren and Bellaire) have not helped the situation.

Best of luck!

HoustonRealtor, it sounds like you would be the right person to talk to if we are looking for a house in Westbury or similar-priced neighborhoods. How could I get in touch with you?

Thanks

I am currently working with a buyer in that price range that grew up in Meyerland, so Robindell (plus Braes Timbers and Braeburn Terrace) and Westbury were high on her list. Robindell has some nice houses, but there isn't a huge spread between the low end and the high end, so it might not make financial sense. My buyer doesn't have the money to fix a home up, so we needed something in pretty good condition. I think we finally have the right house and are in the process of negotiating repairs.

I agree that Westbury has more upside if the house has good bones, but you won't find much availability in your price range. Most in your range will be in Westbury South (not great for resale), Westbury 4 (better for resale, but not ideal) or on a major street (again, not great for resale).

Some say that Sharpstown is nice, but it seems like many Houstonians don't want to go anywhere near it. The mall's reputation, along with main streets in the area (like Fondren and Bellaire) have not helped the situation.

Best of luck!