Removing Ceramic Tiles in Bathroom surround.

How exactly does one go about doing this? Is this a sledgehammer job or a chisel job? We're going to have to redo our bathroom eventually and I wasn't sure about how one goes about removing a bathroom full of nasty ceramic tiling.

Thanks!

How exactly does one go about doing this? Is this a sledgehammer job or a chisel job? We're going to have to redo our bathroom eventually and I wasn't sure about how one goes about removing a bathroom full of nasty ceramic tiling.

Thanks!

When was it put up?

flipper

When was it put up?

flipper

Way before I bought the house. There's a cast iron tub however that was originally turquoise to perfectly match the yellow w/ maroon accent tiles all over the bathroom. If I had to guess I'd say early to mid 70's, maybe earlier...these are NOT new tiles.

Way before I bought the house. There's a cast iron tub however that was originally turquoise to perfectly match the yellow w/ maroon accent tiles all over the bathroom. If I had to guess I'd say early to mid 70's, maybe earlier...these are NOT new tiles.

Ok, there's no point and trying to save the drywall.

The tile is probably installed like this:

1/2" drywall

Wire mesh stapled to drywall

1/2" concrete on wire mesh

Tile on concrete.

The fastest way to get it down is by pulling the drywall off with everything else still stuck to it. Hammer a hole through the whole deal (where there isn't a stud) and enlarge it enough to get both hands in. Wear leather gloves cause that wire mesh will cutcha.

Tug with all your might. It will come down in chunks, just be ready for some hard work.

flipper

Ok, there's no point and trying to save the drywall.

The tile is probably installed like this:

1/2" drywall

Wire mesh stapled to drywall

1/2" concrete on wire mesh

Tile on concrete.

The fastest way to get it down is by pulling the drywall off with everything else still stuck to it. Hammer a hole through the whole deal (where there isn't a stud) and enlarge it enough to get both hands in. Wear leather gloves cause that wire mesh will cutcha.

Tug with all your might. It will come down in chunks, just be ready for some hard work.

flipper

Thanks a ton! Knowing the house I'm going to ask one more thing though. What happens if I find shiplap back there too? Sledgehammer time or am I in big trouble. 1920's house w/ shiplap everywhere, and I've seen it in the bath where we've done electrical above the tiling on the walls.

Thanks again flipper.

Thanks a ton! Knowing the house I'm going to ask one more thing though. What happens if I find shiplap back there too? Sledgehammer time or am I in big trouble. 1920's house w/ shiplap everywhere, and I've seen it in the bath where we've done electrical above the tiling on the walls.

Thanks again flipper.

Ahh... I thought it was original tile...

You may just have Tile on sheetrock. That would make your life easier. If it were my house I'd take off the shiplap and work from the studs out.

Share some pics with us throughout!

flipper