LRT Station Locations

HedwigTramp

Metero has published proposed locations for some of the lines (University line comes to mind), but I cannot find anything about the proposed number or location of stations on the others.

Where do you think the stations will be located for the :

Southeast Corridor?

East End Corridor?

North Corridor?

Uptown Corridor?

Which neighborhoods do you think will be affected the most by LRT (positive or negative)?

And how long do you think it will take for LRT to have an impact on the neighborhoods? 2 years? 5 years? longer?

I look forward to getting the facts, and hearing your opinions.

Metero has published proposed locations for some of the lines (University line comes to mind), but I cannot find anything about the proposed number or location of stations on the others.

Where do you think the stations will be located for the :

Southeast Corridor?

East End Corridor?

North Corridor?

Uptown Corridor?

Which neighborhoods do you think will be affected the most by LRT (positive or negative)?

And how long do you think it will take for LRT to have an impact on the neighborhoods? 2 years? 5 years? longer?

I look forward to getting the facts, and hearing your opinions.

I'm sure others will have more insight into this than I, but here is a map that I've used for looking at potential station locations:

post-4495-1193230805.jpg

I have a related question. Will there be any new turn signals? Will other turn signals be removed? Will it be possible to make any left-hand turns in places without turn signals; if so, where?

This is of critical importance. If anybody has a document that provides details, I'd appreciate seeing it.

uhlaw. Thanks for the link!

Still looking for comments on how LRT will affect the surrounding hoods.

I think the two areas with the most to gain are near north Harrisburg and the area along Griggs.

I am interested to see what the Elgin route will do to the third ward. Will it will act as sort of a barrier between the upcoming UH expansion activities and the rather seedy area that is currently north of Elgin?

Edited by HedwigTramp

Still looking for comments on how LRT will affect the surrounding hoods.

I think the two areas with the lost to gain are near north Harrisburg and the area along Griggs.

I think you meant to spell least, not lost to gain..right? If so, I think actually that the Harrisburg line will spark a lot of redevelopment around it. I say that not because I live over here and am simply hoping, but that its timing couldn't be better. There's a tremendous amount of townhouse developments to the west of the route right now, and in another 5 years they'll have caught up with it, and then the retail projects should really begin to flower. Not to mention that the area is just a cool one, and is attracting a lot of attention finally.

I agree with you about the Griggs/SE line termination. That area has a long way to go.

Agree with Danax on both counts, I live over here and am hopeful, plus think the area is poised to take off with the townhome infill on the eastern side. The stretch between the coffee plant and, say, Wayside could be an attractive commerical strip. New shopping centers have gone in, now it's really just a matter of tenants. And there's good green space, if small. I live a couple of blocks up from Eastwood Park. It's not a bad park, nice actually. I've been noticing it more often, who uses it. Last weekend a few small groups grilling and throwing frisbees. This evening (6 30 ish) there was a big pick up basketball game, a lot of kids skating, maybe two couples making out on picnic tables, and a couple of old dudes with their fortys, watching. A very regular sort of park. It was pretty cool. Racially mixed, too.

In a related East End note, the Shotgun Kroger is trying. Their produce dept has turned around fairly dramatically of late. I actually bought those little mesh-bag cherry tomatoes there, and asparagus. Didn't taste any different from the ones I buy at the West Gray Krog.

There is a considerable amount of activity just north of Harrisburg on Canal street near 67th street and in that general area. I can see considerable development in that area as well.

Ridership can be substantial, in both the mornings and evening shifts (I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping, but I think I will offend more than a few people with the rest of this statement) when the cleaning ladies go to work.

One thing I do hope they take into consideration when designing the stations is enough room for bicycles to be secured to them.

I think you meant to spell least, not lost to gain..right? If so, I think actually that the Harrisburg line will spark a lot of redevelopment around it. I say that not because I live over here and am simply hoping, but that its timing couldn't be better. There's a tremendous amount of townhouse developments to the east of the route right now, and in another 5 years they'll have caught up with it, and then the retail projects should really begin to flower. Not to mention that the area is just a cool one, and is attracting a lot of attention finally.

I agree with you about the Griggs/SE line termination. That area has a long way to go.

Actually I meant "most".

I grew up in the East End (Pecan Park) 50 years ago and have been very impressed with the recent changes to the near East End. My 93 y/o dad sill lives there. Pecan Park will have it's day, but frankly most of the houses don't have a lot of historical "charm" (they are boring), but they are still functional and not yet ready for the bulldozer.

I am really glad to see Eastwood get recognized. I have been watching that area for 30 years wondering when it would come back, and it is on fire today. It used to be only McKinney looked nice, now all the streets look great.

I think the Griggs area is a sleeper. The Med center is driving an Easterly resurgance along OST that should continue down Griggs with Rail. It has a LONG way to go, but watch property values start rising at a healthy clip. I am not saying it will turn into Bellaire, but there is potential for large percentage increases in property values. Face it.... If the third ward can get cleaned up, ANYTHING is possible.

Another area that is seeing HUGE increases in property values is along the proposed North line from the Intermodal to Northline mall.

The area just north of DT has undergone one of the fastest transformations I have seen. 5,000 sq ft lots are selling for 160K. 500 sq ft shacks sit next to 600K townhomes and Hardy yards will be the icing on the cake. Drive that area for a shock.

Further north along Fulton (the proposed LRT route), teardown houses near that route are selling for twice the teardowns along the Harrisburg line and University line in the 3rd ward.

Will the East side see the same gains? I hope so

I should disclose that I recently purchased a property 1 block off Harrisburg in Brady Place (just north of Eastwood). Also about to close on another in the 3rd ward.

I am betting my $$$ that rail will have a positive impact on some overlooked neighborhoods.

I think you meant to spell least, not lost to gain..right? If so, I think actually that the Harrisburg line will spark a lot of redevelopment around it. I say that not because I live over here and am simply hoping, but that its timing couldn't be better. There's a tremendous amount of townhouse developments to the west of the route right now, and in another 5 years they'll have caught up with it, and then the retail projects should really begin to flower. Not to mention that the area is just a cool one, and is attracting a lot of attention finally.

I dnt know if it will gain more than the Harrisburg line as I am not familiar with that area too much, but I think the Griggs line has some potential. If they can redevelop Scott and OST I can see MLK and Griggs doing the same. As OTC pointed out the line will tear out many undesirable properties and if the land value goes up I can see the Shrine of The Black Madonna selling off alot of the land they bought to combat against crime in the area. I have also noticed they have been upkeeping the land better latley.

What's going on on Canal & 67th? :huh:

What I mean by "activity" is just a simple market and a small thriving community.

Any ideas how the intersections of the lines will work? I'm specifically thinking of Rusk at Main downtown or Richmond @ Main in Midtown.... these just feel like traffic nightmares waiting to happen.

Believe me, I have the exact same concerns. I was elated when they initially indicated that the lines would go underground as it approached downtown. I do hope that keeing the lines on the surface isn't the answer and that this is only going to be a temporary measure.

• 3 weeks later...

There's an open area of land at the intersection on the southeast corner of Richmond and Mandell that is referred to as a park but is kind of underdeveloped for that purpose. most likely it will be turned into a mudpit during construction of the line. it would be nice if metro landscaped it and worked it into the station at that intersection. that is to say, the opportunity is there to do that.

Edit: mandell

Edited by sidegate

Are you talking about Mandell Park at the corner of Mandell and Richmond?

Dunlavy and Richmond has a empty lot and a construction site (which is progressing incredibly slowly), but no park. I used to live a few blocks from there.

yes - sorry, my bad, I always get those mixed up....

speaking of that construction at richmond and dunlavy, is it subject to the same restictions as the Ashby project. Dunlavy is tiny at that point. I'm sure there would be an entrance/exit it on it at some point.

Edited by sidegate

Getting somewhat back on topic (or at least, close to it), is there a way to get the detailed pictures that were presented at the Metro Meetings? I never really got a chance to look that closely at them. now that they have chosen the routes, I'm curious as hell how they're going to do some of the routes, particularly crossing the red line at various points.