Video Editing Software

I recently did a video project for work using Microsoft Movie Maker. It turned out relatively successful in that the client loved it, but I found it to be very limiting software with not a lot of options.

Back in grad school, I messed around a little with Sony Vegas, but found though it had lots more options and capabilities.. it was slightly daunting to use.

So, for those of you that do video editing either professionally or just for the fun of it, I'd like your thoughts on which programs you use, pros and cons, ease of use, what you use it for.

The only ones I've really heard of are Adobe Premiere, Ulead video, Sony Vegas, Microsoft MovieMaker or Imovie so if anyone can bring other options to the table, that would be great.

Thanks.

I'm no professional by any stretch, but I use Premiere for personal projects. I like pretty much everything about the program, except that I think the layout seems cluttered, and the version I use doesn't export MPEG4 files.

I've never used Final Cut, but it seems to get pretty good reviews, and I know people who swear by it.

I had about 4 months of experience with a full Avid system a few years back and it was really fantastic, but big $, and required some training to use. If you're ready to take it to the next step, I don't have a better recommendation.

Personally I use, and love Final Cut Pro. Premier is almost as strong, but lacks a true vectorscope, and if your into professional video a vectorscope is a must.

All in all, it depends on how much of a learning curve you want to dive into. If you just want some nice pan and zoom, basic Chroma key, and color correction, I would go with the mid level Vegas. In fact I believe Vegas has MPEG 4 compression. I read an article last week about the mid level Vegas (can't remember the model), and it was a neat little software. It's probably more viable if your going from Movie Maker as the learning curve is not very steep.

On the other hand... If you want to get into video editing for the long haul you'll have to go with FCP, Premier, or an AVID product. Problem with these softwares is the learning curve can be waaayyyy steep.

I'm very much the amateur and haven't played with any that much, but in using Moviemaker, some of the drawbacks i noticed that directly influenced what I wanted to do but couldnt do on this recent project.

Minute amount of tracks available - one sound, one video.

No Chroma or even allowing jpg overlays with an alpha channel.

Very small and amatuerish collection of transitions.

Very little playback speed control - either x2 or /w... thats all.

Not being able to take a frame

I don't need the full tamale, i dont even know what exactly a vectorscope does... i just know even for an amateur, moviemaker is very stifling. ..so somthing in the middle will probably be good enough.

I downloaded the Ulead Demo earlier today.. just havent had time to install it and try it out.

Would you consider Ulead middle of the road ?

I'm very much the amateur and haven't played with any that much, but in using Moviemaker, some of the drawbacks i noticed that directly influenced what I wanted to do but couldnt do on this recent project.

I don't need the full tamale, i dont even know what exactly a vectorscope does... i just know even for an amateur, moviemaker is very stifling. ..so somthing in the middle will probably be good enough.

I downloaded the Ulead Demo earlier today.. just havent had time to install it and try it out.

Would you consider Ulead middle of the road ?

Then I think you should stay with the entry to mid level software. It will do pretty much everything you mentioned and then some. In answer to your question about Ulead.... I'm not a big fan, but I may not be the best guy to ask as I'm into the professional side, and don't work with most of those softwares. I still think that Vegas would be a good growth software for you. It fairly simple, and will allow you to grow as you do more video. Of course some of your decision may have to do with cost, and the mid level Vegas is about $200.00 if I'm not mistaken. Ulead I believe is under $100.00.

Adobe Premiere Elements can handle all this. Ask Puma, he got me hooked on it after using iMovie & Pinnacle Studio for years. I noticed at the Apple website that FCE just gota re-vamp and looks very similar to the Adobe line. I'll be looking into that one as well.

You can get Adobe Premiere AND Photoshop Elements bundled at Fry's, with a mail-in coupon for under $150.00. If you don't have Photoshop, then this is a great way to get a copy.

Adobe Premiere Elements can handle all this. Ask Puma, he got me hooked on it after using iMovie & Pinnacle Studio for years. I noticed at the Apple website that FCE just gota re-vamp and looks very similar to the Adobe line. I'll be looking into that one as well.

Really, any of the mid level softwares can handle this.

I at one time used Ulead Video 6... and it was as basic as MMM.

Not too worried about cost. I already have CS2 and probably could get a hold of the latest Premiere for not too much if i needed too.. I just dont think i want to deal with the learning curve of that program.

I think my perspective was just skewed in that I was looking for something in between MMM/Ulead 6 and Vegas, but in reality Vegas is the middle when compared to Premiere.

I'll give this older version of Vegas I have a shot, find myself some good tutorials this time.

Thanks guys.

I've used Vegas and found that its not as intuitive and as well laid out as Premiere Elements though.

I've read the same. Read the wiki articles on each software and the one major complaint about Vegas was that it was setup backasswards from every other program.

I've read the same. Read the wiki articles on each software and the one major complaint about Vegas was that it was setup backasswards from every other program.

It may very well be. I'm not used to working with the mid level stuff so I may not be the best guy to ask. I know the professional version of Vegas gets pretty decent reviews, of course not anything like FCP or Premier Pro.

It may very well be. I'm not used to working with the mid level stuff so I may not be the best guy to ask. I know the professional version of Vegas gets pretty decent reviews, of course not anything like FCP or Premier Pro.

Yeah, compare to the other multi-track mid-level NLE's out there I've had the worst experience with Vegas. I really enjoy editing with Premiere Elements now. I'll probably never go back to Pinnacle Studio or Apple iMovie.

I've yet to author a DVD with Premiere Elements however, so the ease of use in that category has yet to be seen.

The only ones I've really heard of are Adobe Premiere, Ulead video, Sony Vegas, Microsoft MovieMaker or Imovie so if anyone can bring other options to the table, that would be great.Thanks.
No more questions/answers needed, Adobe Premiere is the BEST BANG for you buck.A bit of a learning curve, but WAY better than anything else you will ever use.Premiere Elements can be bought for cheap too, $80-$100 or $150 is bought as a combo with Photoshop Elements.
Adobe Premiere Elements can handle all this. Ask Puma, he got me hooked on it after using iMovie & Pinnacle Studio for years. I noticed at the Apple website that FCE just gota re-vamp and looks very similar to the Adobe line. I'll be looking into that one as well.You can get Adobe Premiere AND Photoshop Elements bundled at Fry's, with a mail-in coupon for under $150.00. If you don't have Photoshop, then this is a great way to get a copy.
See, smart man! :D

Archived