Pool Removal Or Fill-In

I have a very small pool in my backyard (5000 gallons). In the 6 months I have lived in my new place, I have not used it once. It is also in need of re-plastering and after calling around I have learned that it will cost at least $2500 to re-plaster. So....I am considering having it removed and/or filled in.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions for a good contractor?

What if, using common grocery store items, spending about $5.00 or so a week and about 10 minutes per week on "maintenance" could give you a nice backyard pool? Would you be interested in spending the $2500 to get it fixed?

Pools are great in Texas. People often don't understand how inexpensive and easy they are to maintain. The provide a real return on a small investment, in my opinion. Plus, you can do a really nice landscaping project using this small pool as the centerpiece. "Maintaining" the pool and the landscaping could grow into an enjoyable hobby that's definitely more rewarding than a hole full of dirt.

It needs a new vacuum and needs to be re-plastered. I have maintained it myself for the past 6 months, but as I said, I never used it. If the cost to remove it is comparable to the cost to re-plaster, I would just as soon have it removed.

The pool and deck take almost my entire backyard, and I would prefer to just have a grass yard and small deck.

It needs a new vacuum and needs to be re-plastered. I have maintained it myself for the past 6 months, but as I said, I never used it. If the cost to remove it is comparable to the cost to re-plaster, I would just as soon have it removed.

The pool and deck take almost my entire backyard, and I would prefer to just have a grass yard and small deck.

Wish they were transportable. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

• The title was changed to Pool Removal Or Fill-In