Renting in the city for the first time.

clr10980

I've rented in Texas for the last six years, but I am now faced with finding my first apartment inside the loop. The last five months of commuting from 290 @ West to W. Alabama @ Timmons (six days a week) has made me almost very sure about city living. I've been searching craigslist for months now and I believe I'm pretty flexible on what I want to rent. I'm just unsure of The Where. I'm just not familiar enough with the area. I'm also looking to move sans roommate for the first time. I like the Kipling, Sul Ross, Heights Neighborhhood feel. I could go for a duplex, studio, 1bd, garage apartment. I'm not really opposed to much. I do have a cat, I would like hardwoods because of that, and I have a budget of $600. And writing this I've realized I probably have no idea what I'm looking for. Is there like a city-rental car service that could just drive me around and show me the really great available immediately secret apartments?

Is there like a city-rental car service that could just drive me around and show me the really great available immediately secret apartments?

There is. I used them when I moved to Houston. And it's free. All you have to do is sign a paper at each place they bring you to (because that's how they make their money -- a little bit from each apartment they show you).

I found them on the internet back in 1999, but the good HAIFers can probably provide the details of the best ones still around.