Are there any 'green' builders in Houston?

Hi, I'm new. My name is kevin and I live in the Heights. I need to put up a new house on my lot, and I have a basic Idea of what I want, but I am looking for a design and construction firm that works with steel and concrete (as opposed to wood-frame) and also is experienced with green building (everything from solar power to non-toxic interior materials) Does anyone have a referal to a firm that I might try?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Kevin

You want to use steel framing and CMU (cinder block) exterior walls? Are you looking at these materials for the "green" aspect of them? Just as an FYI, most framing lumber is farm grown wood, so there is not really a negative environmental impact involved.

If you want to use the CMU for insulation purposes, that isn't a horrible idea, but it is expensive and you will still need to do traditional insulating as well.

I have been really interested in the concept of green building and trying to find creative ways to apply the concept practically. None of the houses I've built in the past would be considered "green" but they were pretty efficient simply because of the kinds of houses they were.

Green building can be much more expensive though. I think it would be fun to have a home owner with the budget to just let me go nuts with the green thing and do as many things as we can "green" (self sustaining, minimal impact, lots of post-consumer based products, etc). Sadly, those customers don't really exist.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking in to the concept of using containers in residential construction and I think it is a very cool idea from a design stand point. I don't know how "green" they are considering they are made of a conductive material and will require constant maintenance to prevent rust. Add that in the summer, the fact that they are made of metal (not just decked in it) would mean the heat would most likely be conducted very well. Regardless, very cool. I look forward to seeing the finished pictures of the projects on their site.

Moving on to green building, I've been working on making sure all future projects are both Energy Star certified and high LEED certifications.

Green Building Initiative - Houston

Click on the link labeled "Find a Green Builder". This is GHBA supported initiative so most of the listed builders are tract home builders that are adopting aspects of green building/sustainability. There are several custom builders on the list. You can follow the links to their websites or give them a call. I'm sure each would be interested in discussing your project.

Full disclosure: I work for one of the builders on the list. The GBI isn't perfect but it has raised a good deal of awareness and provided training to the builders through the GHBA. I don't know if I would use it as a green building checklist but the custom builders that participate are knowledgeable.

• 1 month later...

Green building can mean many different things, so you need to be specific when talking to a builder about what you want. An example: reusing old floor boards and framing in the old home to make wood floor or cabinets in the new home is considered green. Using high effeciency AC units. Reusing old sinks and faucets - most old toilets won't get past code. Positioning the windows so that they receive more sunlight in the winter and less in the summer is another example. And on and on and...

You first need to find an architect that can incorporate these ideas into a good design. Most small custom builders would be excited to take on that kind of project, but you'll know him when you find him.

Archived