Wharton

ChannelTwoNews

Took these last week in between showers. There's more to take a look at in this city than what I got, but I can post more on a future trip.

TeePee Motel

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

The newly renovated courthouse. Check out this page for more.

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

Downtown

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

Santa Fe Trail Park (Formerly a railroad track, now a landscaped trail starting near the intersection at Hwy 60)

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Very cool photos.

You beat me to Wharton with those photos.

Can't wait to see the others.

We're actually planning a stay at the Tee Pee Motel with the Kids and I was going to take some pictures of the town. But, you did the work for me.

Adios

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I drove through Wharton yesterday (the US59 part, so I guess that's not really Wharton proper) and noticed a new Chili's alongside the freeway. A small one, near the hospital. That's got to be a great addition to the community. I love local and quaint places as much as anyone (Hinze's BBQ down the road a bit is fabulous) but it's also nice to have something like this too to choose from.

Every time you see one of those semi-run down small town "Main Street" areas, you can't help but think potential. Planners and developers in Houston and other cities are scrambling as fast as they can to try to recreate this kind of environment, and here it is! And it's the real thing, not a facsimilie.

What's the answer to making these downtowns thrive again? Encourage tourism and try to fill the storefronts up with antique

shops, flea markets, cafes, etc...?

Is there any way to attract actual retail stores? Could a retailer looking for more space take over several buildings, connecting them, but leaving the quaint storefronts and convenient parking in place? Just wondering.

Archived