Packin' On The Bus

debmartin

i just read that san francisco will vote on whether to ban handguns like chicago and d.c. that kind of thing would never fly down here in the south, but i would like to see them banned off of public transportation. i know that criminals carry weapons and even if they use metro to get back and forth to their crimes it would seem that knowing citizens are armed would increase tensions and make it more likely for something to escalate. metro should have metal detectors like they do down at the courthouse, but of course that would require personnel and all of the metro cops that sit around parked at the wheeler station would actually have to work.

debmartin

i just read that san francisco will vote on whether to ban handguns like chicago and d.c.  that kind of thing would never fly down here in the south, but i would like to see them banned off of public transportation.  i know that criminals carry weapons and even if they use metro to get back and forth to their crimes it would seem that knowing citizens are armed would increase tensions and make it more likely for something to escalate.  metro should have metal detectors like they do down at the courthouse, but of course that would require personnel and all of the metro cops that sit around parked at the wheeler station would actually have to work.

debmartin

i agree it would not work in practice, to ban handguns in houston, and that is not what i am suggesting. but coming from a state (municipality) where handguns are not even allowed in the CITY, this just seems weird.

It sounds like a tricky subject to rule on. I firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment, and even more so, believe that every person should be allowed to carry a personal weapon at all times. I don't have objections to restrictions like school, governmental buildings, or any private property that chooses to enforce private policy.

I guess that's why it's tricky about mass transit. According to my beliefs, I should be allowed to carry a weapon on the bus, as I'm in transit. However, the bus does belong to the government, so technically it could be considered governmental property.

Fortunately, I don't have to rely on the bus, so my weapon's possession is safe. I guess to stick to my beliefs, I'm forced to agree with allowing it. I'm not happy about it though.

(For any 2nd Ammendment right-wing nutjobs out there, I pack a Beretta 92FS 9mm :))

yeah, i believe in it too .. i just wonder how practical it is in ... well, in practice. also, i am not so sure why people NEED to carry weapons. i mean, i live here, i suppose if i wanted a weapon i could purchase and register one, as well as carry it around, but the overwhelming question would be ... "WHY?"

Archived