KPRC Field Reporters' Antics

Jeebus

I read once that KHOU use to be what KRPC is today not too long ago. Is that true?

In the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, KHOU and KTRK always took turns playing second and third fiddle to KPRC in the ratings, and the overall professional quality of their news departments.

KPRC's number one ratings started declining when Ray Miller retired, and they fell into the abyss when Post-Newsweek bought it and turned it into the pathetic imitation of a news department it is now.

That's when KTRK became the number one TV news cast in Houston and held the top position for a long time.

KHOU then moved past KPRC into second place, where it steadily gained ground on KTRK. But at the same time, for reasons no one has yet been able to fathom, instead of trying to be like the first place station, KTRK, the manager at KHOU wanted to be like the last place station, KPRC. Huh?

Check out this article in the Houston Press from 1999. http://www.houstonpress.com/1998-04-30/new...pirit-of-texas/

KHOU then moved past KPRC into second place, where it steadily gained ground on KTRK. But at the same time, for reasons no one has yet been able to fathom, instead of trying to be like the first place station, KTRK, the manager at KHOU wanted to be like the last place station, KPRC. Huh?

Check out this article in the Houston Press from 1999. http://www.houstonpress.com/1998-04-30/new...pirit-of-texas/

The article quotes Peter Diaz, who was general manager at the time and may still be for all I know. He's a REALLY nice guy, but has the flaw of being a salesman to the core. He took the job running KHOU after being a sales manager at KCBS-TV/Los Angeles. It's an unfortunate truth that virtually all station managers in television get there through the sales department.

Among staffers there at the time, the departure of Uhl was seen as the moment when KHOU jumped the shark. It was followed by the death of Sylvan, the Marlene McClinton debacle, and other problems both on-air and behind the scenes. I've heard that with the departure of the newsroom's three top managers from that era (Devlin, Walker, and Haywood) that things are getting better, but I'll reserve judgement for now.

At least when Marvin Zindler does something laugh-worthy, it's honest camp or an honest mistake, like the time he referred to a production of the ballet "Sleeping Beauty" as "Sleeping Booty".

Could not stop laughing at this. Can you all come up with any more?

http://www.stp.uh.edu/vol63/113/OpEd2/13332498/13332498.html

Finally, KPRC offers a real media degree at UH

Jason Ginsberg

Even though I'm in the newspaper a lot, I've never considered myself a reporter, and I've never gotten any type of scoop. That's why it's so special for me to break the biggest story to hit the University of Houston this year.

I want to be the first to welcome the best addition to the communication school since The Daily Cougar itself. Fellow students, I am pleased to announce the founding of the KPRC College of Broadcast Journalism!

Thanks to a generous grant from Channel 2, UH will now be the foremost training center for newscasters in the nation. Here are just a few of the courses that our new KPRC school will offer:

Graphics 1310: Students will learn how to enhance subjects like foreign policy and oil refinery explosions with colorful animation and catchy sound effects.

Graphics 2310: Weather forecasting.

Health Beat 3355: Boomers are growing old and dying. Learn to exploit their fears through daily medical coverage.

Hair and Makeup 2307: Adjunct professor Dominique Sachse will give you the tools you need to make it in the cutthroat world of news anchors (consent of instructor required; dog-faced people need not apply).

Advanced Hair and Makeup 3307: Taught by Susan Lennon.

First at Four 4444: Learn how to bring class to the news by blocking it between Jerry Springer and Hard Copy.

Extreme Journalism! 3310: Students will be attacked by dogs, hit with mace and sunk in a car while videotape rolls. Do you have what it takes to be a professional journalist? Let Dean Rob Johnson electrocute you until you find out.

Ethics 1301: Canceled.

Frank Billingsley Lecture: Anybody can be a weatherman! Even you!

Entertainment Reporting 1501: Professor Roseanne Rodgers will give you the hard-nosed journalism skills needed to compete with Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight. She has masters degrees both in Looking Pretty and in Celebrity Plugs (must be taken concurrently with Wardrobe 1510).

Reporting 1301: Canceled.

Emily Akin Lecture: Learn how to rip off Marvin Zindler's routine with none of the shtick and half the class.

Sweeps Week 1470: Students will learn how to minimize news and replace it with features like "Inside the World of Topless Clubs" and a seven-part Hakeem Olajuwon interview.

Zoology 2370: Professor Sachse will lecture on "our resident monkey" and other species (counts toward Cultural Heritage core credit).

Gimmickry 3480: Students will be instructed in the use of the Accu-Weather Storm Center, Zoom Cam, Doppler 2000 Radar, City Cam and the new Action 2 Battle Van, complete with Sidewinder Cams and Kung Fu grip.

Craig Roberts Lecture: How to maintain talent in the face of mediocrity and constant turnover. Formerly the Ron Stone Lecture.

Investigative Reporting 4204: Videotape men having sex with each other in school restrooms. Grades will be based on lighting and camera technique.

Choose a career that will make a difference, and join the College of Broadcast Journalism today! Dean Johnson is waiting for your application right now ... of course, he's in a shark tank, but don't let that discourage you.

Ginsburg is a senior RTV major.

Finally, KPRC offers a real media degree at UH. by Jason Ginsberg. I am pleased to announce the founding of the KPRC College of Broadcast Journalism!

Brilliant! It would be funny if it weren't so true. It's a little dated but it still fits, no matter which names are there now.

I saw a cartoon in a TV industry magazine a few years ago that showed registration day at a famous broadcast journalism school.

All the TV news courses had their sign up tables: covering news events, writing, reporting, editing, broadcast ethics, etc.

The cartoonist could have had KPRC in mind when he showed no one was lined up at any of those tables. Dozens of people were lined up out the door at the table on the end -- "Perky".

Allow me to add a few courses to the KPRC College of Broadcast Journalism, updated for 2007.

Prop Reporting 1004: Every journalist knows the 5 W's: who, what, when, where and why. But what props will you use? Professor Lisa Baldwin shows how economical it is to find some object instead of finding the right shot, how to skirt the line of good taste without crossing it(especially in sexual assault reports) and how to make your audience feel like fools who don't know what broken glass is. Graduates are invited to Advanced Prop Reporting 1005, where professor Joel Eisenbaum demonstrates studio props and how to look tough and determined while standing on a set reading copy. Also, learn how far you can roll up your sleeves and unbutton your shirt without looking "professional".

No Experience? No Problem! 2109: Ever dreamed of becoming a real live reporter without that journalism class stuff? Professor Jennifer Reyna (a former Miss Hawaiian Tropic contestant and KLOL Radio's "Miss Rockwear") reveals the tricks of the trade. Note: Unattractive people need not apply.

Sexy Anchoring 3651: It's a hard job sitting at a desk, reading copy and looking personable and cheerful during the worst news. But you can still look good doing it. In this women-only class, professor Wendy Corona shows the right blouses and sweaters that enhance what your mama (or the local plastic surgeon) gave you while still maintaining a modicum of class. You'll also learn how to smile insincerely, banter with your fellow on-air staff and pretend to look serious. Note: Small-breasted women need not apply.

Introduction to Sports Reporting 101: Ever wanted to be a sports reporter/anchor, despite having the personality of a rock, looking gawky and balding and mangling the names of local athletes? Professor Winston Dutchin explains how anyone can do it.

Allow me to add a few courses to the KPRC College of Broadcast Journalism, updated for 2007.

Prop Reporting 1004: Every journalist knows the 5 W's: who, what, when, where and why. But what props will you use? Professor Lisa Baldwin shows how economical it is to find some object instead of finding the right shot, how to skirt the line of good taste without crossing it(especially in sexual assault reports) and how to make your audience feel like fools who don't know what broken glass is. Graduates are invited to Advanced Prop Reporting 1005, where professor Joel Eisenbaum demonstrates studio props and how to look tough and determined while standing on a set reading copy. Also, learn how far you can roll up your sleeves and unbutton your shirt without looking "professional".

I tried signing up for this one but apparently KPRC has the entire class blocked for incoming reporters. :(

Luckily, there were plenty of openings across the street at the KHOU finishing school for Broadcast Journalists.

• 8 months later...

I saw Elizabeth Scarbarough reporting on the baby flushed down the toilet in Baytown last night. When it was clear she was doing her stand up in front of a toilet in front a fire station I immediately thought of this thread. How wildly inappropriate.

• The title was changed to KPRC Field Reporters' Antics

Archived