Old Hickory Stick Restaurant A 4521 Telephone Rd.

yak23flora

I remember a place in the 1970s calle Old Hickory Stick Restaurant. It was somewhere on Telephone Rd. I think near Stubbs, and had what appeared to me (as a kid) to be a huge HO scale train layout somewhat modeled after Houston. I used to love to go there just to look at the trains. The large case it was built into a wall and the lights were timed to give night and day effect.

Am I dreaming this up or do I recall correctly. What a great find if anyone had some old photos.

Oh yeah, hello! I'm new here.

Edit: It would help if I had used the search function, someone posted a postcard with Old Hickory Stick in this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3151 :blush:

Edited by yak23flora

I remember a place in the 1970s calle Old Hickory Stick Restaurant. It was somewhere on Telephone Rd. I think near Stubbs, and had what appeared to me (as a kid) to be a huge HO scale train layout somewhat modeled after Houston. I used to love to go there just to look at the trains. The large case it was built into a wall and the lights were timed to give night and day effect.

Am I dreaming this up or do I recall correctly. What a great find if anyone had some old photos.

Oh yeah, hello! I'm new here.

Edit: It would help if I had used the search function, someone posted a postcard with Old Hickory Stick in this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3151 :blush:

Old Hickory Stick was there...but I never went there and I am "young whipper snapper" compared to some of you...lol.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Old Hickory Stick Restaurant A 4521 Telephone Rd.
  • 5 months later...

I had to look up what the Hickory Stick on Telephone Rd was all about because my dearest elderly friend (88) was right on the edge last night, and he was thinking he was there. I’m going to guess that place was hopping back then, for my friend to remember this place in his (what we thought🙏🏻) was his last moments on this side of the ground.  Couple days later he pulled through 🙏🏻 and I asked him about that place. He only replied with “it was a nice club where he used to eat.”