Just Came Back From Galveston Again

so i returned home from galveston last night.

Ate at Bennos 3x. On sat I stood in line for 1/2 hour and it was packed.

I tried some of the suggested places

Rudy & Pacos- it was okay. Didn't realize there was a dress code so my buddy felt underdressed since he had a t shirt.

Leon's-Ok this place still looks closes when I drive by it.The ribs were very good, chipped beef was tasty, but very fatty.

Donut shop-great breakfast burritos and sooooo cheap. 3 bucks! I took a local friend there the next day because he had never heard of it, but they were closed when we got there.

Explored some neighboorhoods and my friend thought i was crazy for driving through some areas which didn't look that great too him.

Drove through as little tract called Cedar Lawn off of 45th. I love the homes there and might consider owning there some day.

so i returned home from galveston last night.

Ate at Bennos 3x. On sat I stood in line for 1/2 hour and it was packed.

I tried some of the suggested places

Rudy & Pacos- it was okay. Didn't realize there was a dress code so my buddy felt underdressed since he had a t shirt.

Leon's-Ok this place still looks closes when I drive by it.The ribs were very good, chipped beef was tasty, but very fatty.

Donut shop-great breakfast burritos and sooooo cheap. 3 bucks! I took a local friend there the next day because he had never heard of it, but they were closed when we got there.

Explored some neighboorhoods and my friend thought i was crazy for driving through some areas which didn't look that great too him.

Drove through as little tract called Cedar Lawn off of 45th. I love the homes there and might consider owning there some day.

Thanks for the reviews!! I'm glad you actually had the chance to explore this time around. :) Where is your friend from? The USA cable network movie "Road to Galveston" (1996) w/ Cicely Tyson was filmed in Cedar Lawn.

121720.jpg

Thanks for the reviews!! I'm glad you actually had the chance to explore this time around. :) Where is your friend from? The USA cable network movie "Road to Galveston" (1996) w/ Cicely Tyson was filmed in Cedar Lawn.

121720.jpg

I used to go visit some friends that lived in Cedar Lawn when we were kids. I remember climbing trees in the back yards of the homes that backed up to 45th St. and throwing water balloons at passing cars. More than once we all had to scatter into the neighborhood when chased after hitting our target. The best places to hide was either in the Moody's pool house or behind the Maceo's wall. Both of those properties were over-sized with lots of foliage to hide in. Also dated a girl that lived at #8 Cedar Lawn Circle later on. She was a hottie (true blond). Her parents house was really unique inside, having just two bedrooms, which was odd for an upscale neighborhood like that.

the friend i took thru cedar lawn lives on Tiki Island and thought it was so cool he was going to bring his wife back to see it.

The other friend used to live in California and now lives in flower mound which is north of dallas. When we drove through the "hoods" he was a little uncomfortable after dark but fine during the day. I guess I am just naive about if the area is truly dangerous or not, but he said we should avoid it at night. BTW he is black so i guess he knows better than me. I just like exploring different neighborhoods.

On another note it seems black people have it pretty rough in Texas overall. My black friend says he gets pulled over constantly even though he has lived in Flower Mound for 10 years now. My other friend in Tiki who is originally from California and is white says he thinks black people are treated much worse in Texas than in California and feels badly for them.

water balloons at cars on 45th lol!

the friend i took thru cedar lawn lives on Tiki Island and thought it was so cool he was going to bring his wife back to see it.

The other friend used to live in California and now lives in flower mound which is north of dallas. When we drove through the "hoods" he was a little uncomfortable after dark but fine during the day. I guess I am just naive about if the area is truly dangerous or not, but he said we should avoid it at night. BTW he is black so i guess he knows better than me. I just like exploring different neighborhoods.

On another note it seems black people have it pretty rough in Texas overall. My black friend says he gets pulled over constantly even though he has lived in Flower Mound for 10 years now. My other friend in Tiki who is originally from California and is white says he thinks black people are treated much worse in Texas than in California and feels badly for them.

water balloons at cars on 45th lol!

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Wow, your friend lives on Tikki Island and has never seen Cedar Lawn?

I wouldn't know difference in race relations, I've never experienced California. :(

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Wow, your friend lives on Tikki Island and has never seen Cedar Lawn?

I wouldn't know difference in race relations, I've never experienced California. :(

well he is a workaholic and is spending a ton of money and time fixing up a place on Church st. The city is giving him a lot of grief as are some of his workers. Seems no one is willing to work a 40 hour week. They just show up when they feel like it or never show up again. I can't understand why the city is giving him such a hard time. He's fixing up an eyesore and threw out the squatters who had drug problems. He's certainly helping out the neighbors improve the neighborhood. So all he sees is Tiki, home depot, lowes, and the drive straight to church st. He says I know Galveston better than he does and I live in California,

IMO it seems like black people in California enjoy a better status overall than in some parts of the south. California is very diverse and liberal so it makes sense. My black friend says he enjoys living in Texas and has lots of friends of all races, but does have to walk a bit more of a tightrope than when he was in california.

I knew a black person when I worked at UPS and everyone pretty much talked to each other as equals. He traveled to alabama to visit relatives and spoke his mind just as he would in California. When he didn't come back to work we asked where he was and was apparently stabbed for speaking his mind in the south.

anyways I won't be back to Galveston until october so I'll be thinking of Bennos, saltgrass, and bronco donuts.

IMO it seems like black people in California enjoy a better status overall than in some parts of the south. California is very diverse and liberal so it makes sense.

History indicates your opinion is very correct. Flower Mound has been a place that black people have avoided for a while (ever). It is about 3% black and over 90% white. Your friend would get a little bit better treatment by moving just a little bit to the east to Lewisville or much more east to Little Elm, Frisco, etc. Or, if he's rich and really wants to be treated even more "different", he can move to the other side of grapevine lake - into southlake.

i get stopped a lot, too - i use a traffic attorney to keep all of those "violations" off my record.

So as not to threadjack.... As for parts of Galveston - they used to get pretty shady at night. I don't know about now. I've thought about buying in some of those areas, because I can't imagine the areas behind the convention center staying 'bad' for much longer. I wish I could get some time to spend down there. I've only been about 4 hours this spring. I'd like 4 days... or years.

History indicates your opinion is very correct. Flower Mound has been a place that black people have avoided for a while (ever). It is about 3% black and over 90% white. Your friend would get a little bit better treatment by moving just a little bit to the east to Lewisville or much more east to Little Elm, Frisco, etc. Or, if he's rich and really wants to be treated even more "different", he can move to the other side of grapevine lake - into southlake.

i get stopped a lot, too - i use a traffic attorney to keep all of those "violations" off my record.

So as not to threadjack.... As for parts of Galveston - they used to get pretty shady at night. I don't know about now. I've thought about buying in some of those areas, because I can't imagine the areas behind the convention center staying 'bad' for much longer. I wish I could get some time to spend down there. I've only been about 4 hours this spring. I'd like 4 days... or years.

What I like about galveston are all the different pocket areas. When i return I think I may rent a bicycle and do slow explorations of areas. I'd buy a bike, but I think it would rust out in a year.

I'd buy a bike, but I think it would rust out in a year.

Get an aluminum (aluminum alloy) bike... it won't rust... it'll oxidize a little, but just enough to be a bit hazy and protect the bike from further oxidation/corrosion...

the chain will probably rust.

Get an aluminum (aluminum alloy) bike... it won't rust... it'll oxidize a little, but just enough to be a bit hazy and protect the bike from further oxidation/corrosion...

the chain will probably rust.

thanks. Can I get one at costco or is that a specialized bike from a bicycle shop only?

Galveston gets Hooters!

The former Oceanview Grill at 23rd and Seawall is being re-opened as Hooters this week and I am amazed at how narrow-minded some residents are about it. So many people worried that it will attract an unsavory crowd..lol...Hooters is so much more tame than the perception.. The way folks drescribe it you would think the place is full of half-naked hookers and strippers. I have been to many of their restaurants and find the servers pleasant, totally covered (they even wear "support hose type" tights) and, yes, bras. If one should have a visible tatoo, they are required to cover it up with make-up. They are not spilling out of their tops and not trying to pick up your husband or boyfriend. In some locations they are college students working their way through school. I've seen many more provacative servers at some the Islands other eateries and during Mardi Gras, way more nasty exposed breasts than I ever needed to see.

My main reason for going is the good food and good times with friends..and now with a Gulf view.. Galveston should be thrilled to get another fun eatery on the Island. Thank you Hooters for coming to town!

Every time I think of Hooters, my mind goes instantly to women's breasts and orange gym shorts. Weird. Maybe I need to actaully go to a Hooters Restaurant, it has been a while...

That's a great spot they inherited from the Ocean Grill, that's for sure. Should be a hit!

Every time I think of Hooters, my mind goes instantly to women's breasts and orange gym shorts. Weird. Maybe I need to actaully go to a Hooters Restaurant, it has been a while...

That's a great spot they inherited from the Ocean Grill, that's for sure. Should be a hit!

Hooters is all right, it is some of the customers that cause problems. My granddaughter worked at a Hooters in southern California for three months, she is a college student as were most of the girls working there. She left because of the guys who imagine the servers are fair game. She says the tips were great and she is saving her money, so she hated leaving, however, I believe it is a good addition to Galveston.

I agree that Hooters is a nice addition to galveston. I personally never go to Hooters as i think the food sucks and if I want to see T & A I'd go elsewhere. But a lot of people do like it and it just gives visitors another option.

Most chains look at areas pretty carefully before they move in to see if it is an economically wise decision to move in.

So I'd say that is a good sign for galveston.

A while back someone said that the flagship might be converted to a boardwalk. Any new news on that?

A while back someone said that the flagship might be converted to a boardwalk. Any new news on that?

I stayed at the Flagship on Friday night. It is the suck--but the suck has some amazing views at various times of day, so it was worth it. I still need to get the pics off my camera, though, and I'll try to post them this week.

The best indication that I have is that Landry's will take over in 2009. The sooner, the better.

• The title was changed to Just Came Back From Galveston Again

Archived