How To Lower Property Taxes?

I understand you can protest your property taxes. How is this done and what reasons do you use?

A local realtor suggested I sell my homes on the west end beachside at 25% lower than what I paid for them in early 2006. Is this a valid reason? It seems property values have gone down so it would reason that the taxes should be lower too.

I understand you can protest your property taxes. How is this done and what reasons do you use?

A local realtor suggested I sell my homes on the west end beachside at 25% lower than what I paid for them in early 2006. Is this a valid reason? It seems property values have gone down so it would reason that the taxes should be lower too.

Check out cutmytaxes.com

aslowdodge - the most interesting part of your post to me was that the realtor said you should sell for '25% less' that what you paid a year ago. that's a big drop!! Galveston real estate appears to have topped out, but I didn't think it was declining precipitously. maybe I'm wrong though.

Get a HAR realtor to print you out a CMA so you can show what homes are selling for. Just telling the tax office what your realtor said isn't going to mean a thing.

Remember they cut the tax rate last year? Now they have to up the values so they don't lose any money from their budget.

GCAD is having a seminar on how to protest you property appraisals that may be helpful ot you.......

Harris County Tax Office Along with HCAD and Galveston County TAC Conducting Appraisal Protest Seminars before Deadline

HOUSTON
- May 25, 2007 - Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector Paul Bettencourt along with Harris County Appraisal District Chief Appraiser Jim Robinson and Galveston County Tax Assessor-Collector Cheryl Johnson will conduct simultaneous two-county taxpayer appraisal protest seminars on May 30, 2007. The deadline to protest property appraisals for most accounts is May 31, 2007.

Who:
Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector Paul Bettencourt

Harris County Chief Appraiser Jim Robinson

Galveston County Tax Assessor-Collector Cheryl Johnson

What:
How to Protest your Property Appraisals

When:
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where:
Harris County

Taste of Texas

10505 Katy Freeway

Houston, TX 77024

Galveston County

Galveston County North Annex

174 Calder

League City, TX 77573

Why:

• The title was changed to How To Lower Property Taxes?

Archived