One of the editors of Dwell magazine has a new book out about finding a $100k house to live in.

It talks a lot about innovative designs in small houses and the places where it's happening, including Houston:

In Houston she found a long, narrow update of the shotgun house, a simple style with African American roots, which came in at a total price of $150,000, for a house 16-by-80 feet on a quarter-acre lot. The architect, Brett Zamore, is now trying to turn his "Shot-Trot" design into a kit, which Jacobs figures will turn him into "the Starbucks of housing."

i read her story in metropolitan home. i don't really see the need for a "kit" for a $100k home in Houston, other than the cache or novelty of it. if you want a 1,000 sf (16x80 is 1280 - so about 1,000 useable) home for $150k, there are plenty of them readily available. you could buy a lot for 20k - 30k and build a 1500-2000 sf home (depending on neighborhood, obviously) at that price, and get a good home.

$80 - $100 psf doesn't do much for me.

i could just buy an ikea home if i wanted a "modern" home in a box.

True there are lots of home in Houston you can buy for $100K - 150K, but if you read the article, its for those people who are into contemporary living. Young guys who live in loft in the inner city, who eventually need to move to a real house.

oh, i definitely get the modern (not MCM purist talking) / urban / contemporary idea ... i just don't consider 1200sf to be a "real" house in houston. 1200sf in SF or NYC is 'real' because of the limited space. 1200sf has a limited usefulness and limited resale value. if you want 'contemporary' you can build something i would consider more useful - and contemporary - for $150k, or you could buy existing and furnish it to contemporary for less than that.

diff'rent strokes...

i want a modern home and work space. i need about 2500sf for $100k:D

oh, i definitely get the modern (not MCM purist talking) / urban / contemporary idea ... i just don't consider 1200sf to be a "real" house in houston. 1200sf in SF or NYC is 'real' because of the limited space. 1200sf has a limited usefulness and limited resale value. if you want 'contemporary' you can build something i would consider more useful - and contemporary - for $150k, or you could buy existing and furnish it to contemporary for less than that.

diff'rent strokes...

i want a modern home and work space. i need about 2500sf for $100k:D

1200 SF is not an insignificant amount of living space for single person or a couple, even is Houston. If think you need 2500 SF to live comfortably, it may be time to consider having a yard sale.

One of the editors of Dwell magazine has a new book out about finding a $100k house to live in.

It talks a lot about innovative designs in small houses and the places where it's happening, including Houston:

This house would be perfect me and solve my need for a small place (house or apartment) in Houston. Does anyone know an architect/builder who builds these houses?

these will find their way to a small (small) niche here, perhaps

1200 square feet used to be "normal" for families anyhow - and in my opinion, more than enough for 1-2 people.

of course, i scoff at those who try to recreate Tara on an 8,000 square foot lot :P

• 1 month later...
If think you need 2500 SF to live comfortably, it may be time to consider having a yard sale.

i work at home - need a home office.

my wife works at home has her own firm - needs a home office.

we have a 1 year old and are planning another.

we currently have a 3/2/2 1500sf and it is not enough room given that i us a br as an office and she has the dining room as her office. my son has a br. we need, at a minimum, another room as an office. we'd like to have a gameroom for the boy and his toys - instead of the family room being impassable. one of the brs isn't big enough for a bed and a dresser.

we still need to have a yard sale... :P there was a reason i originally bought 1500sf and reasons i think we now need 2500sf.

again, in houston, 1200sf is not considered much of a house. anything under 1500sf is pushing it... (i'm actually at 1492 sf in the inwood forest area, so, no, i'm not one who is necessarily directed to a mcmansion in the burbs)

i work at home - need a home office.

my wife works at home has her own firm - needs a home office.

we have a 1 year old and are planning another.

we currently have a 3/2/2 1500sf and it is not enough room given that i us a br as an office and she has the dining room as her office. my son has a br. we need, at a minimum, another room as an office. we'd like to have a gameroom for the boy and his toys - instead of the family room being impassable. one of the brs isn't big enough for a bed and a dresser.

we still need to have a yard sale... :P there was a reason i originally bought 1500sf and reasons i think we now need 2500sf.

again, in houston, 1200sf is not considered much of a house. anything under 1500sf is pushing it... (i'm actually at 1492 sf in the inwood forest area, so, no, i'm not one who is necessarily directed to a mcmansion in the burbs)

You DEFINATELY need more than 1500sf. We have right at 2000sf, with 2 kiddos and I still don't know if it is enough ? I would like another room for a study. My old house in Sugarland was 2600sf, and seemed too big. I think 2200sf would be perfect, but you can't have EVERYTHING. I basically gave up sf for a pool and a cul de sac. It was worth it though. Got my home for $120k, worth $135k on the market, you just have to be willing to live 15 miles from downtown.

Edited by TJones