Singapore pictures part three

This is part three. Here's part two.

Sing50.jpg

I always take pictures of telephone booths when I travel. I don't know why.

Sing51.jpg

It's not a potted plant -- it's an ecosystem. I assume the plant is papyrus. But it's not in dirt. The pot is filled with water and has fish and other creatures living in it.

Sing52.jpg

Scary looking doormen and bellhops at the Raffles Hotel.

Sing53.jpg

The Raffles Hotel. At one time it was the best hotel in the country, and one of the best in Asia. It's why Singapore Airlines calls their first class Raffles Class. A beautiful old building with many lush inner courtyards with fountains and trees. The public is welcome to walk through its courtyards and galleries. It has more luxury boutiques than most malls. But there's also a very large and reasonably priced gift shop for everyone else. This is also where the Singapore Sling was invented.

Sing54.jpg

It's not unusual in most countries other than the United States to see people drying their laundry outside. But this is the first time I've seen laundry on sticks.

Sing55.jpg

An apartment complex. It's nice how colorful it is.

Sing56.jpg

The lobby of the Royal Scotts Hotel, where I stayed. Fabulous place, and very reasonably priced. Great service, and the air conditioning is perfumed so when you come in out of the humid Singapore air, you're greeted by fresh, cool, pleasant-smelling atmosphere.

Sing58.jpg

Sing59.jpg

Sing61.jpg

It's the Chinese year of the pig, and there are all sorts of tied-in events.

Sing62.jpg

Average Singapore view.

Sing63.jpg

Sing64.jpg

Downtown Singapore in the distance.

Sing65.jpg

Sing66.jpg

Sing67.jpg

Sing68.jpg

Sing69.jpg

This is the Marriott. Very nice design.

Sing70.jpg

An Indian temple.

Sing71.jpg

Sing72.jpg

Sing73.jpg

I can understand why Singapore is one of the largest ports in the world. There are dozens of natural and man-made islands that are entirely given over to port operations. When you land at Changai airport you fly low over the hundreds and hundreds of ships waiting to unload. In the distance of this picture, you can see a refinery.

Sing74.jpg

This is the Sultan Mosque, which appears to be the main mosque for Singapore. It was built by the British in the 1800's for the Sultan of Jahor in exchange for the island. I think the British got the better deal.

Sing75.jpg

Sing76.jpg

Sing77.jpg

Sing78.jpg

Sing79.jpg

Sing80.jpg

The country's Supreme Court building looks like a spaceship. It used to be a hotel's revolving restaurant.

Sing81.jpg

Another merlion.

Sing82.jpg

This is a giant ferris wheel under construction. The Singapore Flyer is intended to be the world's largest. Nearly every major Asian city I've been to has a giant wheel.

Sing83.jpg

Water taxi. A cheap way to get around.

Sing84.jpg

A mall. It has a Borders bookstore where I picked up some reading material and maps. Prices are the same as in the United States, though. I guess that explains why it was so empty, while the Japanese-owned bookstore next door was packed.

Sing85.jpg

Inside a mall. They look just like malls in America.

Sing80.jpg

The country's Supreme Court building looks like a spaceship. It used to be a hotel's revolving restaurant.

Sing81.jpg

Another merlion.

Sing82.jpg

This is a giant ferris wheel under construction. The Singapore Flyer is intended to be the world's largest. Nearly every major Asian city I've been to has a giant wheel.

Sing83.jpg

Water taxi. A cheap way to get around.

Sing84.jpg

A mall. It has a Borders bookstore where I picked up some reading material and maps. Prices are the same as in the United States, though. I guess that explains why it was so empty, while the Japanese-owned bookstore next door was packed.

Sing85.jpg

Inside a mall. They look just like malls in America.

Really great pictures. The photo with downtown in the background and high rises in the foreground remind me of Houston with tall buildings all over the place. I like the use of color. Thank you for sharing these great pictures.