State Highway 6/FM 1960

When I first moved to Houston, I spent every free moment driving around, exploring everything I could. Of all Houston's quirks, my discovering that State Highway 6 / FM1960 wasn't a loop freeway, similar to I-610 & the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) was the most surprising, yet ultimately disappointing. When looking on a map, it made perfect sense that it would be the next logical major throughfare to be a freeway, but when I first arrived to it, I only found congestion, congestion, congestion, and oh yeah: congestion.

My question is, should it be upgraded to a freeway? Is it really too late to start such a project? I think it could easily be done and that there is more than enough room. It could even become a tollway if needed to help create more revenue for the county/city.

There are wide ditches on either side of the road starting around US90 in the south, and I believe to at least US290 they remain. I don't remember the layout that well from US290 to SH249 but I think they could make it happen. I would estimate that 90% of right of way needed is ditch or empty parking lot. They could build feeders where the ditches/parking lots are, and then overpasses at the intersections. Finally, add exits & entrances and tollbooths if needed.

From SH249 to I-45 might be a little trickier as there are no ditches to the best of my memory, and some parcels are at streets edge. This area is the most heavily traveled of FM1960, and maybe in the name of progress, would might require the purchasing and demolishing of certain parcels, to make it happen.

Once past I45 though, I know it opens back up, and a north entrance to the airport could be built. When US59 is finally reached, it could terminate as there seems no need beyond here through Humble, Kingwood & Atoscosita (I could be wrong, it might be needed there - anyone?).

With all the construction, I don't see why the county couldn't find a way to install similar light rail along the FM1960 corridor between I45 & SH249, as this is an already heavily locally traveled area.

All said and done, I think it would help the city of Houston and Harris County. This of course with the upgrading of SH249 south of BW8 to I45 into a freeway along with upgrading US290. With these new roadways, I don't think traffic from the northwest would be an issue anymore. I don't think the Grand Parkway is going to help much in anyway, as it really won't serve a need for another 25-30 years. This improvement would take about 5-10 years to complete, but the result would be immediate, and long overdue.

I feel the same way about projects like this as I do the lightrail: "The sooner we start, the sooner we finish."

I am in full agreement that something has to be done with FM 1960. Not only is congested, it is also an eyesore in many of the areas and has had trouble retaining businesses.

Around much of the area along FM1960 between SH 249 and I-45 is built up and perhaps needs to be handled more like an urban area. I am not sure how well a freeway from S.H. 249 to I45 would be received. There may be too many well established neighborhoods in that area who would not appreciate being located right next to a freeway (even with sound walls already in place). However, light rail in that area would be a great idea. It could eliminate bus traffic as well as some car traffic along F.M. 1960. If sidewalks and pedestrian overpasses were added it would make the area shopper and business friendly. Another nice touch would be to do some more landscaping along the road and bring back more trees and eliminate many of the billboards. In addition, if TXDot were to add commuter train lines along I-45 and S.H. 249 and connect them to a light rail system along FM 1960 it could be real attractive to homebuyers who are looking for the ease of being able to commute into downtown Houston for business or ammenities that are available in city. From what I have read this seems to have worked in Dallas, it should be able to work in Houston.

The south portion of HW6 is undergoing an expansion (the portion that runs from Knight's Court in Missouri City all the way to Manvel and such) And it was much needed,. However, the part that runs close to 59 in Sugarland sees alot of congestion. There really is no way around this, though, as the area experiences growth.

If they could, they could add another lane to both sides. That might help, a little bit. Barker Cypress, and Fry Road, in that area, act the same way, congestion, congestion, congestion. I just drove through that area after Church, looking for Cocoa Brown Resturant. An 8 laned, 4 laned feeder, would look nice, though.

They will especially have a lot of room in between thw Woodbridge community, and IH-10, the have enough for five lanes in each direction. A degrated freeway in that section might look good. A six laned freeway, with four laned feeder roads, works great, IMO.

Woodbridge is between 90 and Bissonnet. And I agree that there is more than enough space in that area for expansion.

Does anyone know when they are going to start construction of the new overpass over I-10? That will definitely help congestion at that intersection.

• The title was changed to State Highway 6/FM 1960