KAZH to become Independent, another LP becoming Azteca America affiliate

From the HBJ...

FWIW, as someone who actually grew up watching KXLN & KTMD evolve over the years, not sure what to make of the move. If I'm not mistaken at least KAZH had a position on the cable lineup (TW anyway) and moving to what I think is an even lower power signal.

Is KAZH going to become an english independent station like KNWS or a spanish one like Ch. 61?

And they intend to launch LOCAL news? That's been the buzz since Pappas bought them back in '01. I'll believe it when I see it.

From the HBJ...

FWIW, as someone who actually grew up watching KXLN & KTMD evolve over the years, not sure what to make of the move. If I'm not mistaken at least KAZH had a position on the cable lineup (TW anyway) and moving to what I think is an even lower power signal.

Is KAZH going to become an english independent station like KNWS or a spanish one like Ch. 61?

And they intend to launch LOCAL news? That's been the buzz since Pappas bought them back in '01. I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't hold your breath for local news. Too much of an expense too soon. It has to transition to HD first.

DT554908.gif

Great signal, though. With that kind of reach it's a shame it's been pushing Azteca programming for so long.

Independent TV stations seem to have a rough time in Houston. I'm not sure why. There are plenty of very strong independent stations around the country (Phoenix and San Francsicso come to mind), and they're in smaller markets.

Sometimes I think the key is to have a station like KAZH in Houston and then buy another one in Dallas so you can sell them to advertisers as a combo.

What would help them get started is if they could become like MeTV in Chicago. It's a low-power station (WWME-CA) that's in such demand that all the cable systems, and even the satellites carry it. Programming is sit-coms and cop shows from the 60's and 70's (Good Times, All In The Family, Hawaii Five-O). It's probably the most popular LPTV I've ever seen, and should serve as an example to other struggling stations that they can put out good programming without having to resort to Home Shopping.

• 1 month later...

For a while prior to the switch over of Azteca America to Ch 34, they ran a continuous loop of a few promos highlighting the move of the programs from 57 to 34. KAZH dropped the Azteca branding and logo for the month or 2 prior while continuing to run their programs, and I actually saw a number of billboards up around town that featured the station for once.

KAZH is now a Spanish language independent station, simulcasting another former Azteca America affiliate, KTNC from San Francisco. Not sure if they'll pick up any syndie shows on the local end or if they're just a defacto satellite of the SF station for the moment.

I notice the quality of Channel 34 is low. I have one of those HD tuner box, but I cannot get its' signal on it.

And I have the same problem with Channel 43 Tv Informa. Let me know if you know something... thanks.

For a while prior to the switch over of Azteca America to Ch 34, they ran a continuous loop of a few promos highlighting the move of the programs from 57 to 34. KAZH dropped the Azteca branding and logo for the month or 2 prior while continuing to run their programs, and I actually saw a number of billboards up around town that featured the station for once.

KAZH is now a Spanish language independent station, simulcasting another former Azteca America affiliate, KTNC from San Francisco. Not sure if they'll pick up any syndie shows on the local end or if they're just a defacto satellite of the SF station for the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived