Westloop Tollway bypass

I am not sure if this idea came up before, but wouldn't it be a great idea for HCTRA to build a new tollway along the railway ROW that runs along the west loop and eventually connects to the Hempstead tollway? The westloop is constantly congested and this project could provide relief!

if you are talking about the UP RR track that runs through Memorial Park, the idea has been floated before and politicians have run away from the suggestion as fast as possible.

it is political suicide, just like the absence of any n/s high capacity freeways or tollways between 610 and BW8 south of I10, b/c there are many 1000s of upper income voters that would oppose any such plan.

I am not sure if this idea came up before, but wouldn't it be a great idea for HECTRA to build a new tollway along the railway ROW that runs along the west loop and eventually connects to the Hempstead tollway? The westloop is constantly congested and this project could provide relief!

Yeah, I am sure all those homes will LOVE to have an ELEVATED tollroad in there backyard.

Really now. :blink:

I think they will stick to a sporatic train noise rather than a constant stream of cars.

That and enduring 2 years of construction is not appealing either.

Well, they can put the tollway in a trench or better yet, they can make it a tunnel. These neighborhoods should not mind if it is tunneled. (good compromise?). It is only about 7 miles long and two exits at the most (at IH-10 and 59). Just a quick toll-tunnel connection from the area where 290 terminates to 610 and Post Oak Rd. This bypass if built, will reduce the traffic congestion on the westloop and I think will generate so much revenue for HCTRA and pay for itself quickly.

Well, they can put the tollway in a trench or better yet, they can make it a tunnel. These neighborhoods should not mind if it is tunneled. (good compromise?). It is only about 7 miles long and two exits at the most (at IH-10 and 59). Just a quick toll-tunnel connection from the area where 290 terminates to 610 and Post Oak Rd. This bypass if built, will reduce the traffic congestion on the westloop and I think will generate so much revenue for HCTRA and pay for itself quickly.

The big problem with the West Loop is not its own capacity anymore, but where it ties in with other freeways, especially 59.

The very same problem would be faced by a new toll road along that alignment for the forseeable future.

Guest Plastic

It would go from 610 and STella Link and run up to Northwest Mall. It then would turn into the Northwest Tollway which would run up to Williowbrook.

• 2 weeks later...

Pfft. U DO NOT want a tollway inside the loop. It's bad nuff the Hardy EXT will have to cantilever over railyards north of downtown, and another thing: this W Loop bypass would end up on limited ROW cutting thru Memorial parkland, rich folks houses and be constrained with the ugly web of transmission powerlines. See what happened to MacGregor Park when Spur 5 came thru.

Someone said Hemsptead TW; they should just terminate it at the Katy Freeway with two ramps to and from there between West Loop and Washington Avenue where the RR crosses over it.

Edited by DaTrain

It would go from 610 and STella Link and run up to Northwest Mall. It then would turn into the Northwest Tollway which would run up to Williowbrook.

What's this about the NW Tollway running up to Willbowbrook Mall?? I ain't heard of that, and I don't wanna get confused with the NW Freeway which runs to Jersey. So somebody enlighten me with this.

What's this about the NW Tollway running up to Willbowbrook Mall?? I ain't heard of that, and I don't wanna get confused with the NW Freeway which runs to Jersey. So somebody enlighten me with this.

Plastic is referring to a plan that went nowhere that a toll road be installed along the route that he described. It was entirely impractical and is dead.