NASCAR in Houston

Trae

Houston is the largest blue-collar town in Texas, Trae. It's dominated by service-industry jobs and its much larger than San Antonio. For every person in Houston with a college degree, there's got to be at least five people without one. I have a friend in Houston who was born and raised there and never bothered to go to college because he could make a decent living for himself without one in Houston. In contrast, I would consider Austin to be a white-collar dominated town. Same problems as Houston but Austin has a very dominant tech industry.

Ethanra, the term "blue collar" really does not have anything to do with how much money people make. I've known several multimillionaires from blue collar backgrounds. Some engineering fields I would consider to be blue collar just from the work environment and the type of people that it attracts, i.e. hands on types.

The Houston Superspeedway would've been a joke, Trae. Superspeedways are the most boring races on the NASCAR circuit, and there's only two of them. They are not popular enough with the fans to warrant building another one. As far as Jeebus' idiotic statements on NASCAR, if it's so redneck, then how come the speedway out in California usually sold out? What about the road course in Napa Valley they race out? It's sold out as well and I doubt there's many rednecks that go to that race.

What about all the corporate officers in the suites at the races, Jeebus? Are you going to declare MBA holders who worked hard to make it in the corporate world "white trash rednecks"? What about the crew chiefs who make $400,000 a year and know exactly how air temperature affects the handling of the race car and all the mathematics of the car components? Are they rednecks, too? I'd imagine that they have more expertise in their field than you do in yours, Jeebus.

Trae, most NASCAR tracks already have in-field road courses, and there's no landscaping at all. Why would they put in landscaping between two race tracks, anyway? Jeebus isn't the smartest tool in the shed it appears. That's probably why he feels the need to insult others so he can feel "classy."

Well, I was watching some show when they were showing Indy's new stadium, and that F-1 track had landscaping all around it.

And you don't have to take Jeebus' comments that seriously. They were mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Ethanra, the term "blue collar" really does not have anything to do with how much money people make. I've known several multimillionaires from blue collar backgrounds. Some engineering fields I would consider to be blue collar just from the work environment and the type of people that it attracts, i.e. hands on types.

I was pointing out that Houston is blue collar and it is not a bad thing. The blue collar work in this city earns a lot of money, more then "white collar" jobs in othe cities.... I think we agree on the blue collar issue....?

the assumption that NASCAR fans are all white trash rednecks couldn't be further from the truth. It no more a redneck sport than football or baseball. NASCAR is the most watched sport/autosport on the planet and the most revenue generating sport as well.

You should keep your prejudices to yourself. =)

PS Im not a fan of NASCAR, but the misconceptions about it are a bit annoying.

NASCAR is the most watched sport/autosport on the planet and the most revenue generating sport as well.

Actually on a worldwide basis significantly more people watch F1 than Nascar. Now as far as the US goes, Nascar is king.

Guest Marty

I notice that you jeebus and dalpardise like to call people like me, white trash, rednecks all over this forum and say that we are lowest common denominator. would you say that in my face. hell no.

Marty, I call all my family & friends (white or not) white-trash to their face, when they start talking about NASCAR. It's no different than them calling me a geek for being an active member of an architecture forum.

I tell you all what I'll do: The first time I can turn on the race and FOX doesn't cut to the center track and show dozens of RV's with shirtless drunks waving number & confederate flags while drinking, I'll take back what I said about NASCAR fans and apologize.

Of course, the first time you turn on any F1, Champcar, or America LeMans circuit (notice that I didn't say IRL, which is basically the lowest common denominator of open wheel racing & cousin to NASCAR) and find the same fans as I described above for NASCAR, I'll also apologize.

Good luck.

Guest Marty

Of course you will say that in the face of people that like you, but you don't have the ball's to say that to a street smart person like my self. you are a puppy just face it. I am not wasting anymore time on this forum period, especially talking to cowards that hide behind there computer.

The thing is, have you ever been to a Nascar event?? You may change your opinion. For one thing, it is expensive. If you want to put your RV in the inner circle, you better have some big bucks. Also, the fans spend money. They wear their team colors, pricey. If you saw confederate flags flying, then maybe it was at an event in Charlotte or maybe the flags were from Alabama or Mississippi, very similar. If you attend a southern event, you will see these flags and why not??, If you can parade around, proud of your sexual identity, why not be proud of your state?? Double standards here. This entire argument is silly and I agree with Trae.

• The topic was unlocked

Archived