Eldridge/Tanner/Little York Area

avicalc

To all you Northwest Area Experts,

I was curious about the area off Eldridge around Tanner and W Little York. There is a pretty large cluster of beautiful homes in neighborhoods such as Twin Lakes, Lakes On Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North, Villages at Lakepoint, and a few others. In addition, this area is very accessible to Beltway 8, 290, and the Energy Corridor making it a very desirable location IMHO. The problem is the Cy-Fair schools zoned to these neighborhoods are less than desirable. I would imagine that

That's an area that is more mixed as its closer-in. They recently re-zoned the CFISD (taking effect in 2008), so I'm unsure how that will affect Cy-Ridge. There are a number of very nice neighborhoods zoned to Cy-Ridge, unfortunately there are also a lot of apartments. Still, I think if they keep building more nice homes like they've got in Lakes on Eldridge, etc it should have an effect of raising an area that was once pretty blue collar. There are more than 2200 homes in the neighborhoods you listed above, which range from $300k-$1.5M, so you'd think that if everyone sent their kids to the schools they'd acheive some critical mass. There's a new Elementary school out there, Lee Elementary. Not sure how that affects things?

There's also a number of other neighborhoods like Lakes of Windermere, Crossroads Park, on the other side of 290 that are zoned to Ridge.

I actually teach at Cy-Ridge HS. I will say that, while it is true that the population is very diverse ( a good thing), it is an extremely safe school. It does not have the same population as Cy-Fair or Cy-Woods (opened in 2006), but is clearly not the most "at-risk" school in the district in terms of incidents and issues. The administration is outstanding and is effective with every incident that occurs.

The biggest complaints was the broad spectrum of areas that Cy-Ridge drew from, but that issue was central in discussions back in 2002 and 2003 primarily, when the school opened. Talk to parents of students who go there and you will find them to be very pleased about how the school is handled. Walk through the halls and you will find that it is very safe. The 2005 report of "persistently dangerous" status was due to the fact that everything that comes up is acted upon whereas other schools would ignore.

Of course I am biased, but if what I stated was not true, I likely would not have posted anything on this issue. Cy-Ridge is a great place to teach, and for students to learn.

Archived