Thanks for all the great recommendations you all have had. Have used all of them (FYI, All Texas Foundations, great people to work with and fair and honest).

Now we need another rec! We have an old deck off the back doors that is basically just three wide and long steps down to ground level (runs from the side of the house fence to where there is a little "L" jog in the footprint of the house). Anyway, we want to have it replaced with a deck that goes all the way out to the edge of where it is now and then have 2 steps down to ground level. This way we can actually put a tables and deck chairs on there.

It's not anything elaborate by any means, but we looked online and got an estimate from some random deck place and it was like $5500 (and they never came out, that was just with us measuring it for them!). They normally build palatial decks with gazebos and built in seating and such out in the burbs, so part of me thinks that was worked into the cost as well.

Then we got a couple of numbers of guys that were recommended from some friends and coworkers and they haven't bothered to call back. If I can't trust them to return a call, I sure don't want to trust them with my money.

Any suggestions for some good, fair people that will come out, see what we want and give us an estimate? We're getting anxious to get this done with Summer approaching.

Thanks in advance!

My co-worker's husband Pedro Lozano has a company called Amazing Fences & Burglar Bars - his ad can be found in the Houston House & Home Gallery ad section in the back. He built a 2-level deck for us; lower level next to house (6" off ground) approx 6' X 30', upper level approx 7' X 7' (12" off ground) Odd configuration to describe, but it forms an "L" around our existing brick patio. Can't lay hands on the receipt right now, but I think it was around $1700. He also built 180' of cedar fence, so the amount in my checkbook won't help. Deck is very simple; essentially two treated lumber boxes leveled and attached where they meet, which is exactly what we wanted - with two young 60 lb. dogs chasing each other across and around it, we needed something basic and durable, but he can dress it up with rails, etc. at a later date. He met us after work to do the measurements and had the estimate ready the next day. There were a few unavoidable weather delays, but he always kept us up on what was going on and showed up promptly.

His number is 281-467-1898 and fax is 281-397-8354.

• 1 month later...

Chris Bozman did our deck today and I have to say it's just the most beautiful thing I could have ever imagined. He listened to what we wanted, gave us ideas on how to improve on that based on his years of experience and came up with a design that is really great. His price was unbelievably reasonable. Quality and dependable and the result tonight is incredible.

I would recommend him to anyone looking for a deck.

Chris Bozman did our deck today and I have to say it's just the most beautiful thing I could have ever imagined. He listened to what we wanted, gave us ideas on how to improve on that based on his years of experience and came up with a design that is really great. His price was unbelievably reasonable. Quality and dependable and the result tonight is incredible.

I would recommend him to anyone looking for a deck.

I'm glad that Chris worked out for you. We have been completely satisfied with the job he did. Before we met him, we had plans drawn up of what he wanted. He followed those plans, but took them to a new level. He is truly a craftsman.

• The title was changed to Deck Rec?

Archived