Any synestesics?

KimberlySayWhat

Just curious if any of you have synesthesia?

It's one of those things you know you have, but it's so hard to explain that you tend to keep it to yourself. Once out of nowhere I just started blurting out the colors of people's names and they looked at me like I was insane. Then a few years ago I had the TV on in the background, some show was on and they started talking about this. I couldn't believe it. Finally I knew what this was.

Anyway I have the most common form which is grapheme color synesthesia. It's when my numbers, letters/words have their own specific color. They've always been that way. Always consistent.

This is my personal synesthesic alphabet:

A (purple, usually a pastel)

B (blue)

C (orange)

D (brown)

E (green)

F (orange)

G (brown)

H (orange)

I (yellow)

J (yellow)

K (red)

L (yellow)

M (green)

N (orange or brown)

O (colorless or a pastel, just depends)

P (usually red, but sometimes dark purple)

Q (colorless or a pastel)

R (can be orange or brown)

S (dark purple or red)

T (yellow)

U (orange)

V (yellow)

W (red)

X (yellow)

Y (yellow)

Z (yellow)

Words take on their own color as well. It all depends on the letter components. Yellow is the most overpowering for me.

Numbers:

1 (yellow)

2 (red)

3 (green)

4 (orange)

5 (red)

6 (purple)

7 (yellow)

8 (green or blue)

9 (brown)

Some studies say it's genetic, but I've questioned a lot of family members (after I found out what it was) and the only person who comes remotely close is my dad. He sees calendars a certain way in his mind's eye whenever he thinks of weeks and months. They're layed out in a way. I've read something similar to that being a trait as well.

There are all sorts of forms of synesthesia. Like I said, the grapheme color one being the most common, and the less oddball. (because some forms are just whacky).

Jimmy Hendrix's "Purple Haze" has been said to have been inspired by his syneshesia.

Anyone here have synesthesia in any form?

Maybe this thread has just diagnosed you. If so, you're welcome! :)

Here's a little information:

http://maitespace.com/interests/synesth/synesthesia.htm

Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Archived