Favorite Houston Buildings And Places

marc

So, What is your favorite Houston Icon? i.e., Astrodome, special building etc.<<'marc'

I would have to vote for the Astrodome first, but I am also partial to the view of the refineries from the ship channel bridge at night. All those miles of sparkling lights are such a difference from the daytime view. I think it's iconic because despite our diversity, Houston is still very much an engergy city and without all that there might not have been as many great downtown buildings. That view to me, symbolizes where the growth of Houston began.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, What is your favorite Houston Icon? i.e., Astrodome, special building etc.<<'marc'

I would have to vote for the Astrodome first, but I am also partial to the view of the refineries from the ship channel bridge at night. All those miles of sparkling lights are such a difference from the daytime view. I think it's iconic because despite our diversity, Houston is still very much an engergy city and without all that there might not have been as many great downtown buildings. That view to me, symbolizes where the growth of Houston began.

That's interesting. The movie "Blade Runner" (my all time favorite Sci-Fi movie) used much of Long Beach Harbor's industrial lights mixed in with artists' concepts of futuristic LA. It was quite a sight. The thing about Houston, to me, is that it is so f***ing HUGE in area. From one perspective it looks Atlanta like- just towers jutting up from forests. From another (as you mentioned) an industrial giant (which it is, of course). And another perspective focuses on its sprawling subdivisions and malls. So, i think the debate over a cohesive icon is going to be a lengthy one, because Houston has so many different facets to it.

Looking at Houston from the Ship Channel view at night with DT and other parts in the background gives Houston a different 'feel" than a Houston approached from, say, the West or North.

m. B)

• 3 weeks later...

When I lived in New York City, the Times ran a piece on the completion of Heritage Plaza. It was certainly an interesting looking building and they complimented Houston on building it - saying not many cities would be that bold or forward-thinking where downtown architecture was concerned. For me, it's a Houston focal point.

• The title was changed to Favorite Houston Buildings And Places

Archived