Maybe Moving: West Champions/Cy-Fair

snickstx

New here...love this site.

Born in Huntsville, most of my family is in Houston. Moved to Fort Worth in '85 due to Mom's employer (now mine). I moved back to Houston briefly in the mid '90s with my Dad. Apparently the really cool, old apartments on Gramercy of Kirby have been torn down and new condos are being built. I digress. Move back briefly again in the late 90's to sell vacuum cleaner door to door in Katy. Yeah, that's the ticket. I have just been advised that my job will be moving "somewhere" in Texas in the next year but most likely Houston or San Antonio. As such, I am beginning my scouting as early as possible.

I've always liked NW so I thought I'd start there. Plus it helps that employer has a number of offices in that area. I have a tight budget and will probably max out in the low to mid 100's, although I don't need brand new, in fact I prefer pre-owned. A MAJOR concern are the schools as I have 2 young children. I began looking at Klein and Spring ISDs and was disappointed with some of the information I uncovered. Then I found Cy-Fair and was very pleased. I know, just numbers on a paper but I've got to start somewhere.

I would like to stay in The Champions and move up into a larger home in a few years (and keep 1st as rental and address for school) and let the kids stay with their classmates in CF through HS. So, it looks like the only area, based on my rudimentary research, is the western most sliver of Champions is in CFISD, i.e. Champions Creek and a few others.

Can anybody shed some light on the desirability of these areas? I know, subjective. I am looking for an area that is not going to have outrages HOA fees or taxes or on it's way down. Or a suggestion for a non-Champions neighborhood that is zoned to Yeager Elementary. Any insight to this area is greatly appreciated.

I am planning a trip in about 2 weeks to start checking neighborhoods, offices and traffic.

p.s. I've always oved Kingwood (all my family is NE) but I really don't like the idea of a 45+ minute commute one way. I guess I could deal if it comes to it.

I received a wonderful PM with some great neighborhood suggestions in Klein. Upon further inspection it seems that I may have read some erronious information. However, based on some discussion here and other info I've seen, I still hold that Spring ISD is not really where I want my kids.

However, while Klein ISD may be a better option than Spring, I've also started to read about the Grand Parkway and its potential impact on the area. This is a MAJOR concern for me, as it is to most residents there. This still may keep me in the 1960/249ish area. As such, this brings me back to my original quandry...Cy-Fair ISD for the kids, Champion Forest for the family.

Believe me, I'm not trying to step on any toes of those whose live in Spring or Klein but I have to be realistic. As a single parent, I don't have the financial meens to provide a private education, future college education and a decent home in a decent neighborhood for two kids all at the same time. That means I have to rely on the public school system in whatever area I choose. I know that things can, do and have changed in the NW districts, i.e. Westbury, but I am trying to mitigate as many factors as possible.

I don't know, maybe I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Oh, mods, I didn't realize there was a NW section, please move if you think that's a more appropriate forum. I'm still exploring this amazing site.

You should look at Lakewood Forest and Hunter's Valley (CFISD). Great, well-maintained neighborhoods, big lots, big trees, terrific schools. There are some really good buys there. You may also look at Memorial Northwest as it too has all of the above mentioned niceties - at a good price.

For low to mid 100s you might find something in the older section of Lakewood Forest, but I doubt you'll find anything in Memorial Northwest for less than 150k. That neighborhood leans to the wealthy side. I'd start my search by looking at everything along Cutten Rd between 1960 and Louetta. Then also, I'd look on the other side of 249 at everything along Grant Rd. This way you're not too far out of Houston, but still in a good location that's both convenient and safe for a family.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I actually went to Yeager/Hamilton/Bleyl/Cy-Creek and live back in that same house now post college. Perhaps I can be of some help. There are some very nice smaller homes around Yeager in Champions Glen and in another adjacent neighborhood, the name of which I can't remember. Huntwick is also a very nice neighborhood for families, although part of it is zoned to Klein. Feel free to reply to me and I'll help you out if I can.

• The title was changed to Maybe Moving: West Champions/Cy-Fair

Archived