Any recs for a dining spot in San Antonio?

Hi, it seems like the San Antonio forum is relatively quiet, so I thought I'd ask around over here!

We're meeting another couple down there this weekend, and since the two guys are having a birthday this week, the other wifey-poo and I are hoping to find a suitable restaurant for a dinner (and maybe a surprise cake if we can arrange it).

We're looking for somewhere bright, friendly and solid ... good for conversation. Touristy would be okay, but nothing too trendy. The absolute ideal would be a tiki bar (along the high standards of the Chicopee, MA "Huke Lau," where you get to take the mugs home) but I've given up hope of ever spotting one in the Lone Star. And don't even talk to me about the false advertising of the "Fish Tacos" sign at the Cabo in Pearland!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you're ok with (or prefer) not being on the riverwalk, I'd suggest La Fogata on Vance Jackson. Not a tiki theme, but a similar strong-personality spot. The photos on the website make it look fancier than it is. I've been to a number of fun celebrations out on the patio - it's shaded, and has ceiling fans and fountains, so it's not too bad even in the summer. Incredible tortilla soup, among other things. If I were celebrating a birthday in S.A., that's where I'd go. Wherever you end up, enjoy.

Thank you both for the great recommendations. We didn't get to do Boudro's (maybe in May) but did go to La Fogata. The manager, David, was friendly and helpful, and we had an amazing time (they put us in the "party" patio!). A real garden spot. Thank you!

Thank you both for the great recommendations. We didn't get to do Boudro's (maybe in May) but did go to La Fogata. The manager, David, was friendly and helpful, and we had an amazing time (they put us in the "party" patio!). A real garden spot. Thank you!

Thanks for reporting back - I'm glad you enjoyed it!