Nice, Old, Establish Neighborhoods

OK. Just kicking the idea around, but we are interested in building, not any time soon, a new home. I really like Idlewood with its old establish homes and old trees.

Do any of you know of any areas similar to Idlewood that are still in the southeast side of the city? Southeast is important to stay close to work (Clear Lake) but still be in the city and within 20 minutes of downtown. I have not seen anything like Idlewood until you get to Midtown and Montrose, which is a bit too far from work for our tastes.

Any ideas anyone?

OK.  Just kicking the idea around, but we are interested in building, not any time soon, a new home.  I really like Idlewood with its old establish homes and old trees.

Do any of you know of any areas similar to Idlewood that are still in the southeast side of the city?  Southeast is important to stay close to work (Clear Lake) but still be in the city and within 20 minutes of downtown.  I have not seen anything like Idlewood until you get to Midtown and Montrose, which is a bit too far from work for our tastes.

Any ideas anyone?

I don't think you'll find another Idylwood. There are some lots where I live, Pecan Park, which is east on Lawndale a mile or so, then south of Griggs. The homes are from the same era, 30s & 40s, but they're not nearly as nice. We have two NASA engineers living here. I need to check with one to see if he was laid off too, as he was a contract engineer. Also, Forest Hill, across the bayou from Idylwood is a great spot. The houses are decent too, not fancy, but a sensitively designed new home would fit in. That neighborhood has it's first McMansion of sorts on Santa Maria, a yellow faux-victorian overlooking the cemetary. It's a big, beautiful home but I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come as I like the old neighborhood. But that neighborhood, with it's little hills and curved streets, would really be prime McMansion territory. Country Club place, across Wayside from Idlywood, is another nice neighborhood. Mason Park is OK too.

Also, outside the loop a bit, there's Park Place, Glenbrook Valley, Garden Villas.

Let me know if you need any more info.

I don't think you'll find another Idylwood. There are some lots where I live, Pecan Park, which is east on Lawndale a mile or so, then south of Griggs. The homes are from the same era, 30s & 40s, but they're not nearly as nice. We have two NASA engineers living here. I need to check with one to see if he was laid off too, as he was a contract engineer. Also, Forest Hill, across the bayou from Idylwood is a great spot. The houses are decent too, not fancy, but a sensitively designed new home would fit in. That neighborhood has it's first McMansion of sorts on Santa Maria, a yellow faux-victorian overlooking the cemetary. It's a big, beautiful home but I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come as I like the old neighborhood. But that neighborhood, with it's little hills and curved streets, would really be prime McMansion territory. Country Club place, across Wayside from Idlywood, is another nice neighborhood. Mason Park is OK too.

Also, outside the loop a bit, there's Park Place, Glenbrook Valley, Garden Villas.

Let me know if you need any more info.

I'm pretty serious, if the pricing is right, and the end result is a certain square footage increase from what I have now, then I want to do this in about 2 years. So I have time to look around. So yes, any info would be appreciated. PM me if you have time. I will check out the areas you described.

Have you considered Lindale or North Lindale? I think if responsible young people like yourself stayed in/became more prevalent in the area it would eventually have a domino affect with nearby neighborhoods to the north and west and allow for visual connectivity with the Heights.

Imagine a landscape from the Heights to Lindale that looks more like 1950s Houston than 1980s Houston.

So get building, son! :)

EDIT: Stupid me. I just realized that you wanted to stay in the SE.

There's a thread on the East End neighborhood discussion groups that talks about Idylwood and its nearby neighbors. Maybe something can be gleened from there.

Lindale, if the effort is continued will be a great save.

What a nice little neighborhood. 2112 & danax, would you be willing to take a couple of digital snapshots (if possible) of Idlewood & Pecan Park? I've driven all over the city, but I never found my way into these neighborhoods. I found them on the map, and am curious about the construction over there. Thanks!

Glen

PS - what other neighborhoods around Houston would compare to these 2, how much are the homes, how's the crime, and how many little neighborhoods are like this over there on the SE side?

One thing I have pretty much accepted, is that no matter what, you will always be withing half a mile or so of some area that is not very nice. I can handle that, as long as its not too close. Idylewood, for example, is large enough so it has its own gravitational pull of "niceity", and there is a beautifully wooded monestary or school of some sorts in front of it on wayside, that keeps the area in front of it looking nice. But right behind the church, is some pretty ugly looking homes...much of it disintegrating.

The other thing is I like old areas because of the feel and the character, and the outlying outer-belt areas scare me: I have seen a few square miles of empty fields bulldozed and replaced with cheaply made homes....with little or no brick....which in 15 years will fall apart...bringing down the look of the area.

That is why I like older homes...like Idylewood.....with plenty of brick....that will survive and stay good-looking. That is the ideal place for me to build a home.

I am still looking for that special lot.

This means that ultimately, you're looking for a house to raze first, then build on the lot.. correct?

Actually, I had not considered that at first...I am looking for an empty lot. But now that I see that the pickins are slim, maybe. I dont want to destroy any home that is worth renovating. But if I found a disintegrating non-brick house that has allready fallen apart...and the rest of the area is looking pretty damn good...than I guess that is a possibility. But I have no idea what it costs to raze something like a house!!

Of course, one could use the argument that ANY sq foot is adequate as long as it keeps us dry and comfortable. However, with 2 little girls, one wife, and only one bath, we would like a little more, and adding a little more....no more than 500 sq ft to our current 1500 sq ft house....means spending probably 40K and up....and it might not flow smoothely with the existing house. We really only want a total of between 1900 and 2200 sq ft. If we are going to spend around 50K, then we might as well just get or build a bigger house.

It sound like we want so little more in area that is hardly worth pursuing. But, that is what we want....and so I prefer just to find a bigger home or build one.

.....then.....there is the issue of the bat cave.

You see....before I die, I want to have a bat cave....complete with wall-props so the walls actually look like a cave...this would be the room where all my electronics, computers, network connections, audio, etc. etc. will be. I would like to have 2 secret entrances to it. I am even looking for an old VAX or PDP-11 mainframe computer, with tape drives, so I can have a giant main frame computer in the background. Yes, you heard correctly, this is what I want.

So it really looks like a new home...that I build, will allow me to have this...and the extra bathroom to boot.

(I'm dead serious about the cave.)