Where to buy...

Where would you buy laminate floor (w/ wood texture) or blind? We'll install everything by ourselves so labor cost is not an issue. We looked at some Dupont laminate floor with padding attached. It seems easy to install, but I'm not sure of the quality of the padding. Anyone has experience on this?

Do you think having laminate floor is a good idea for bedrooms? Good quality laminate costs close to solid wood. If I ever have to sell my house, I wonder whether laminate would add much value to the house. Any ideas?

We need to remove the paint on a door (not cover it but remove it, because the paint was not evenly applied on the surface). Other than sanding, any other options?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Where would you buy laminate floor (w/ wood texture) or blind? We'll install everything by ourselves so labor cost is not an issue. We looked at some Dupont laminate floor with padding attached. It seems easy to install, but I'm not sure of the quality of the padding. Anyone has experience on this?

Do you think having laminate floor is a good idea for bedrooms? Good quality laminate costs close to solid wood. If I ever have to sell my house, I wonder whether laminate would add much value to the house. Any ideas?

We need to remove the paint on a door (not cover it but remove it, because the paint was not evenly applied on the surface). Other than sanding, any other options?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

If I were looking to buy a house that had good quality laminate, but installed poorly, I would treat it as a MINUS rather than a plus. To me, there's nothing worse where somebody installed laminate/tile and was too lazy to remove the baseboards and do it right.

Take the pins out of the hinges and take the door off, put it flat in the garage on some sawhorses, and use a chemical stripper on it. Then sand a bit, then paint, then lightly sand again, and then do a final coat. It should look gorgeous.

If you're looking for any fabric window treatments, check out Anna's Linens. They have some attractive stuff at great prices. They also have some really unattractive stuff that can be made quite attractive by doing things as simple as cutting the fringe off with a pair of scissors.

Thanks!

If you are concerned about adding value, I'd do some research and find out what most houses in your neighborhood have. If most have carpet, then there is probably little value in anything other than carpet.

If most houses have real wood, there might still be little value in laminate :) (I'm not a laminate fan)

How about a prefinished real wood floor?

Lumber Liquidators Prefinished wood floors...

flipper

ps. as a "buyer", if I was looking at a house with laminate floors, I'd factor in replacing them in my offer on the house.

Valid point. Appreciate.

My concern is that if we buy real wood, we may have to hire professional to install it. I'd rather put more money in material than labor...

If you are concerned about adding value, I'd do some research and find out what most houses in your neighborhood have. If most have carpet, then there is probably little value in anything other than carpet.

If most houses have real wood, there might still be little value in laminate :) (I'm not a laminate fan)

How about a prefinished real wood floor?

Lumber Liquidators Prefinished wood floors...

flipper

ps. as a "buyer", if I was looking at a house with laminate floors, I'd factor in replacing them in my offer on the house.

Valid point. Appreciate.

My concern is that if we buy real wood, we may have to hire professional to install it. I'd rather put more money in material than labor...

It doesn't matter what the material is. If the installation doesn't look professional, there is no value added. Just something to keep in mind.

flipper

Archived