House security system

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to hear you home owners' opinions -- what security system (what company) do you use? Does it really work (sorry, I've never had one)? Any tips on choosing a company? I may get one for my house...

Thanks!

We use ADT, works well. In other house we had a fly-by-night company. It was OK, but didn't feel that secure. IMHO go for the big security companies.

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to hear you home owners' opinions -- what security system (what company) do you use? Does it really work (sorry, I've never had one)?

I use this system. Works great, not too expensive, and has the added benefit of being a wonderful chick magnet. Keeps my feet warm at night, too. :P

P9280026.jpg

Seriously, I don't use the monitored systems. In addition to the dog, which really IS effective if it is a barker, I employ other theft deterents, like long throw deadbolts and trimming my shrubs. I also keep good homeowners insurance.

Traditoinal monitoring systems work well enough, but consider that a power outtage typically only leave you with about 4-6 hrs of battery backup for the alarm system and it is vulnerable to phone line cut. While your alarm will still sound, it will not notify your alarm company.

Also consider wireless options, which are more expensive but offer such features as online home monitoring and remote alarm activation and are NOT vulnerable to telephone wire cuts.

good luck!

Good point! I love dogs, too. The only thing is that when you're out of town, you can't leave your dog at home alone ;)

I use this system. Works great, not too expensive, and has the added benefit of being a wonderful chick magnet. Keeps my feet warm at night, too. :P

P9280026.jpg

Seriously, I don't use the monitored systems. In addition to the dog, which really IS effective if it is a barker, I employ other theft deterents, like long throw deadbolts and trimming my shrubs. I also keep good homeowners insurance.

They have systems that call in via cell phone if your land lines are cut. Then there are the big batteries that last for days and call in when they are about to run down. These guys are professionals, they've thought of the same things we have and offer solutions.

I'm considering Time Warner's alarm system. Anyone have experience?

They have systems that call in via cell phone if your land lines are cut. Then there are the big batteries that last for days and call in when they are about to run down. These guys are professionals, they've thought of the same things we have and offer solutions.

I'm considering Time Warner's alarm system. Anyone have experience?

I have Time Warner's alarm system, it's dirt cheap ($10/mo) and works. The only thing I don't like is it has a big keypad. Also, with Comcast coming in, I'm not sure if the home security will be around after 2007.

May I ask how you get the $10/month deal? Per their website - "Get installation as low as $99 with monitoring as low as $27.95 per month! " ???

I have Time Warner's alarm system, it's dirt cheap ($10/mo) and works. The only thing I don't like is it has a big keypad. Also, with Comcast coming in, I'm not sure if the home security will be around after 2007.

Archived