Five & Dime General Stores

Sharpstown Bill

A class mate at Sutton had one though.

A bunch of my friends at Sutton Elem. had those turtles. Ours died too, but I can't remember how long they lasted. We had things like crawfish (from the ditch on Sharpview between Bintliff & Sandpiper), hermit crabs, snakes, frogs, etc. This was back in the 1970's.

What was the name of that dime store behind Baskin Robins (Beechnut/Bissonnet)? My mom used to take us there all the time.

If you want a real treat, make a trip to the Rice Village to Variety Fair 5 & 10 at 2415 Rice Blvd., Houston, TX 77005. You will absolutely not believe your eyes.

Opened in 1949 and still in the family, it is unique and purely wonderful. How can they still stock all the merchandise we knew so well in the 1940's and '50's? It is a mystery, but a blast. I believe the turtles are outlawed for carrying Salmonella or something, but you can find enough stuff to outfit your house and life with nostalgic toys and doo-dads. Living close by in West University, I spent my life shopping there. Then in my 30 somethings, I turned to them for all the little items my daughter needed or wanted. Then much later, we both took my Granddaughter to wander in wonderland and pick out things not available anywhere else.

I advise everyone to go soon, Mr. Klinger died and his daughter is running the place, but I am not sure how long she will hold out.

Yep--had my burr cut by Rico @Robindell Barber Shop many times--

My dad conducted business with the same barber shop from 1969 (when they moved to Sharpstown) to 1991 (when they moved out of state). The shop was located on Beachnut between Fondren and Bissonnet. The business location was between an apartment complex and Gemco; possible ditch in between barber shop and Gemco? Close enough.

I think his barber's name was Joe. The place was going down hill, but he still returned for AKA Joe. I'll have to check with Dad.

If you want a real treat, make a trip to the Rice Village to Variety Fair 5 & 10 at 2415 Rice Blvd., Houston, TX 77005. You will absolutely not believe your eyes.

I don't believe my eyes! WestUNative I can recommend a great opthamologist.

• The title was changed to Love At The 5 & Dime
  • The title was changed to Five & Dime General Stores

Archived