Singing Boys Of Houston

ImTomTerrific

I was in the Singing Boys of Houston from 1966-1970. I know that the group was disbanded several years later, but I've never run into anyone else that remembers it or was a member.

I went to see them once - in the early 80s. The son of a friend of mine was in it. Some of the boys I taught were in it also - that could have been any time from 1971 to 1984.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I was in the Singing Boys of Houston from 1966-1970. I know that the group was disbanded several years later, but I've never run into anyone else that remembers it or was a member.

In 1984 I flew to San Francisco to attend the Democratic National Convention. Among the passengers on my flight were the Singing Boys of Houston. They numbered about 40 or so and were extremely well behaved. They were flying to San Francisco to give a concert at the Cathedral. When we landed, but before we exited the plane, they sang a couple of songs for the other passengers. They sang very well and the mini-concert was appreciated by the other passengers. I didn't know the choir was defunct. That's a pity.

In 1984 I flew to San Francisco to attend the Democratic National Convention. Among the passengers on my flight were the Singing Boys of Houston. They numbered about 40 or so and were extremely well behaved. They were flying to San Francisco to give a concert at the Cathedral. When we landed, but before we exited the plane, they sang a couple of songs for the other passengers. They sang very well and the mini-concert was appreciated by the other passengers. I didn't know the choir was defunct. That's a pity.

I'm very sketchy on the history of when they went defunct. It was my understanding that they went defunct several years after I left....say 1975-1976 maybe. However, I had also heard that they'd been resurrected which would account for the 1984 encounter. I don't know if they're still in existence today.

We were a very respected group in our day. We held a Christmas concert at Fannin Bank every year (I still have my silver dollars that they gave each member every year). We also held a concert on the grand staircase in the original front side of the Museum of Fine Arts every year. We performed with the Houston Chorale and the Houston Symphony with the guest conductor, Sir John Barbirolli. A children's TV special was produced at Astroworld in 1968 called "The Pied Piper of Astroworld" in which the Singing Boys were a part of. The year after I left the chorus they went to Austria to perform with the Vienna Choir Boys. I have very fond memories of the group and the wonderful experiences I had.

I'm sure I have some pictures somewhere, but I'm not sure there is really an interest. If someone would like to see them I'll see if I can find them and scan them.

• 5 months later...

Hi, my name is Bobby Bennett and I was a student at Pilgrim Elementary. I was a member of the Boys Choir of Houston in the alto section directed by Paul O'field. We used to practice at the Poe Elem School. I had the first line of the movie The Pied Piper of Astroworld!! Do you remember sitting in front of the Alpine Sled??? I was the guy who said,"Hey Soupy, where are we?? What kind of place is this??" Well, that's me!!! I was actually looking for the movie footage. Email me, i would love to chat with you!! Contact me @ bennettbuzz88@yahoo.com....talk to you then!

Bobby

If you guys can find photos please post and give us more detail of what the group was about/formed, etc.

Now, this makes me wonder if any one on Haif has done any topics on Boy Scouts in Houston or Girl Scouts/The Brownies in Houston? Most interesting ! :P

• 2 months later...

Hi there. I went to Horn Academy and was a member of the Singing Boys in around 1985 or 86. We practiced at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. I'm afraid I didn't last very long as I didn't like waking up on Saturday mornings for rehearsal and would throw a fit to get my parents to let me stay home. One of the dumbest things I ever did.

Hi there. I went to Horn Academy and was a member of the Singing Boys in around 1985 or 86. We practiced at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. I'm afraid I didn't last very long as I didn't like waking up on Saturday mornings for rehearsal and would throw a fit to get my parents to let me stay home. One of the dumbest things I ever did.

Thats still good information, that this group lasted until the 80's.

I wonder why there havent been any topics on Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts or Brownies in this forum?

Surely hundreds of people tried one of them as a kid. Maybe I just havent seen them, the topics that is?

I wonder why there havent been any topics on Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts or Brownies in this forum?

Surely hundreds of people tried one of them as a kid. Maybe I just havent seen them, the topics that is?

I was in the Boy Scouts. I would have to pull out the uniform to tell you what Troop I was in. Kinda disappointed my father, I just never got into it like he had when he was a boy. My father was one of the youngest Eagle Scouts, getting his Eagle at age 13. Vertigo, I would start a new Topic on this.

This is all I get when I search Boy Scouts, I never was one but it would be interesting hearing all the old stories. Start a new thread. :)

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...e=%2BBoy+Scouts.

Edited by Marty

Well, what do you know - I was both a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout. My Cub Scout pack met at the clubhouse behind Horn Academy on Holly next to the playing fields. I couldn't tell you the pack number. My Boy Scout troop was 1113 and met at a Catholic church in Alief. We had a lot of good times. I still have my Death March patch from Camp Strake. I wonder if they still do that?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was also in the original Group between 69-71, with Paul Ofield. I also was selected each of the three years for the special smaller group of 12, that sang special events each year, like the candle light tour in downton houston. Becuase I was in the 3rd grade at the time I started, I was prop the smallest and youngest one there.

• 1 year later...

Greetings, My name is Frank and I was in the choir from 80-84 when it was still knows as Singing Boys of Houston. Back then it was an HISD sponsored program. Since then, as one poster correctly states, the choir is still very much active as the Houston Boychoir. Their website is www.houstonboychoir.com, and there is a Houston Boychoir Alumni facebook page as well.

I remember the Fannin Bank Christmas concerts (though I missed the Silver Dollar days but ended up with a crisp 2-dollar as well as a box of chicklets). Soupy Sales was a few years before me, but we did perform at Rendevouz Houston. My generation was directed by Gary Patterson.

I'm now serving on the board of directors and encourage any former member to contact HBC@houstonboychoir.com or me at fbangilan@yahoo.com. Our Spring concert is approaching and alumni of all ages are welcome to join us sing 1-3 numbers. That concert is May 17,2009 at the University of Houston Moores Opera House at 4pm. We rehearse the day before from 10-1pm. We have also performed the National Anthem every year at an Astros Game. That's a great experience, walking on the field and seeing the players warming up 20ft away from where we sing. That game is May 21st at 7:05pm. We usually meet at about 6:00pm near the Kids Zone.

Hope to see some replies to this post. Glad to know the interest is still out there. Regards - Frank Bangilan, SBH 1980-1984

• 2 years later...

The Singing Boys of Houston never died. Begun in 1962 as part of the Houston Independent School District and directed by Paul Ofield the director changed hands sometime around '83 or '84 and was then under the direction of Gary Patterson. In 1991 when Gary decided to leave Houston to pursue his doctorate, a group of parents who believed in the group but felt that HISD did not have the resources to maintain the group, decided turn what was known as the Singing Boys of Houston Society in to the Houston Boychoir Inc. (HISD require the name change)

Gary and Margel Corneau (some of you boys now men, will remember Margel) did a search to find a director who would be an asset to the group an continue it's then 30 year tradition. Most of the Singing Boys returned as members of Houston Boychoir and the group has remained intact ever since. You can find then still singing in the old St. John's Church in downtown Sam Houston Park for the Heritage Society's annual Candle Light Tours. Some of you will remember those events. In addition they are a regular Christmas time tradition at Bayou Bend.

The Alumni are becoming stronger in their support of the group and add a much needed perspective and role modeling for today's boys. You, the men who remember the group fondly and who remember the group well and you who were well served by the discipline and work habits are a part of the legacy today. With the boys of today, we speak of the generations who preceded them and try to live up to all that was established.

Believe it or not, the Singing Boys of Houston/Houston Boychoir wil be celebrating 50 years of tradition in the coming season. If you have time we would love for you to become in volved. Serve as a Member of the Board, Sing with the alumni who are a growing lot in concerts and a favorite with audiences (they only rehearse a couple of times before concerts. Don't worry, it's like riding a bicycle, it will all come back to you), send a check of support or just come enjoy concerts and let us know you were there. It is all good and we need you!

To learn more about your Singing Boys/Houston Boychoir visit:

https://www.houstonboychoir.org

or

follow us on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/houstonboychoir

or

read about us on Wordpress: Here you can find stories about tour and the spoon (which some of you may remember!)

http://houstonboychoir.wordpress.com

We look forward to continuing the tradition with you and your families.

Some of you mentioned pictures and recordings. As we prepare for archives we would be thrilled if you could share those with us.

Edited by carole nelson

• 7 years later...
On 10/11/2006 at 3:05 PM, Alpha said:

I went to see them once - in the early 80s. The son of a friend of mine was in it. Some of the boys I taught were in it also - that could have been any time from 1971 to 1984.

My brother was in the Singing Boys Of Houston.  His name was Johnny Wallace and he was featured in an article about the Singing Boys of Houston in the Houston Post. His bow tie was crooked!😃.  There was also a TV show about the singing Boys of Houston at Astroworld. 

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Singing Boys Of Houston
  • 3 months later...

I was also a member of the Houston Boys Choir 1968-1970?  Practiced on Wednesdays at Poe Elementary.  Performed with the Houston Symphony at Jones Hall for Christmas one year.  Paul O'field was the conductor.  Don't have too many other memories so it would be awesome if the Universe could steer any of my contemporaries to comment.